Places to visit in North America

I think basil would do okay during Alaska's growing season, it's the heat that does it in here.

We have a friend who goes to Montana during the summer to look for Dino fossils. He then sells them at shows and on-line so that he breaks even and actually makes a little money from his hobby. He has a very successful business that allows him to take large blocks of time to do fun things. He also collects and sells shark's teeth, prehistoric. I've never understood how back breaking work hiking, digging, lugging heavy fossils back to civilization, camping for weeks on end, the threats of wolves and grizzly bears, and he's had encounters with both, is fun, but whatever floats your boat.

I think basil would do okay during Alaska's growing season, it's the heat that does it in here.

We have a friend who goes to Montana during the summer to look for Dino fossils. He then sells them at shows and on-line so that he breaks even and actually makes a little money from his hobby. He has a very successful business that allows him to take large blocks of time to do fun things. He also collects and sells shark's teeth, prehistoric. I've never understood how back breaking work hiking, digging, lugging heavy fossils back to civilization, camping for weeks on end, the threats of wolves and grizzly bears, and he's had encounters with both, is fun, but whatever floats your boat.
Up here basil does great in summer but I can't put it in the ground until late May in case we get night cold snaps in the 30s. That kills it. I wasn't sure if it gets cold at night in Alaska in the summer. When we visited Nova Scotia in August about 10 years ago it was 60s and 70s in the day and 40s at night, I think they might be around the same latitude?

I probably could have handled a more rugged lifestyle when I was much younger but I like my creature comforts now.

Wow the wildlife must be abundant!

How does this living off grid thing work?
In the UK that's simply not possible. Every single bit of land is owned or presided over by a council. They do not give permission for dwellings like that.

You can't even wild camp in England or Wales and I read Scotlands thinking of ditching allowing it too.
There is a lot of public land in the U.S. mostly in the Western part of the country. Alaska is mostly public land. Federal government is the largest land owner and the state governments are in second place. We even have areas that are maintained as wlderness. I remember making a trip to the Three Sisters Primitive area in central Oregon. There are no roads. No machines or electrical devices allowed. You can enter on foot or horseback. You can camp to your heart's content but you must leave the land as you found it and take anything you brought with you when you leave. Beautiful land and great fishing. We found some indian arrow heads there made of obsidian. Camping in the wild is fairly popular here. Lately camping on university campuses is even more popular.

There is a lot of public land in the U.S. mostly in the Western part of the country. Alaska is mostly public land. Federal government is the largest land owner and the state governments are in second place. We even have areas that are maintained as wlderness. I remember making a trip to the Three Sisters Primitive area in central Oregon. There are no roads. No machines or electrical devices allowed. You can enter on foot or horseback. You can camp to your heart's content but you must leave the land as you found it and take anything you brought with you when you leave. Beautiful land and great fishing. We found some indian arrow heads there made of obsidian. Camping in the wild is fairly popular here. Lately camping on university campuses is even more popular.
The shameful horror of the land inclosure act in the 1700s meant all land was taken from the commoners and placed in the hands of nobles who pushed hard based on the idea they could better use the land.
Horrendous but thats how we are where we are with it in the UK
If your home is leasehold you dont even own the land your house is built on but best I don’t get started on the twisted feudal system that is somehow still law in this country!

That last bit is the sad part.

The shameful horror of the land inclosure act in the 1700s meant all land was taken from the commoners and placed in the hands of nobles who pushed hard based on the idea they could better use the land.
If your home is leasehold you dont even own the land your house is built on but best I don’t get started on the twisted feudal system that is somehow still law in this country!
I am guessing you aren't a royalist are ye?

Is it not possible for parliament to fix it?

Mod.comment:
Please stick to the topic of the thread y'all. If you want to discuss a new topic please start a new thread. We like new threads!
Sometimes I just forget what the topic is and have to scroll back to the top and look :laugh:

Niagara Falls, NY is quite lovely and spectacular. But the Canadian side is even more breathtaking. However, for those without a passport, the American side will have to do. I've been to both multiple times. On the American side there's a little island called Goat Island that's quite beautiful and quiet where you can stand at a fence next to the edge of the falls and practically touch the water, and everywhere you can smell and feel the essence and power of the fresh water thundering over the edge.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...views-Goat_Island-Niagara_Falls_New_York.html

SandwichShortOfAPicnic you should put it on your list. Upstae New York and Pennsylvania are gorgeous as well.

I changed the thread title to North America instead of just the US, because I am going to post about another town just north of Niagara Falls, Canada called Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Last edited:
Yeah - its a problem if you are using a mobile phone. You only need to scroll back to the top of the page though, as you say.
I am actually on my desktop at the moment and can't see the top of the page to show what the topic is, but at this point I already knew it LOLOLOL

I am actually on my desktop at the moment and can't see the top of the page to show what the topic is, but at this point I already knew it LOLOLOL

Oh - I can see the top of the page and topic quite easily on my screen without scrolling - see below

Now we are off topic talking about being off topic! :laugh:

Screen Shot 2024-05-10 at 21.36.49.png

Sometimes I just forget what the topic is and have to scroll back to the top and look :laugh:

Niagara Falls, NY is quite lovely and spectacular. But the Canadian side is even more breathtaking. However, for those without a passport, the American side will have to do. I've been to both multiple times. On the American side there's a little island called Goat Island that's quite beautiful and quiet where you can stand at a fence next to the edge of the falls and practically touch the water, and everywhere you can smell and feel the essence and power of the fresh water thundering over the edge.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...views-Goat_Island-Niagara_Falls_New_York.html

SandwichShortOfAPicnic you should put it on your list. Upstae New York and Pennsylvania are gorgeous as well.

I changed the thread title to North America instead of just the US, because I am going to post about another town just north of Niagara Falls, Canada called Niagara-on-the-Lake.
So if you venture as far as Niagara Falls, Canada, you might as well take the time to go the extra 20 miles (25 minutes) or so north along the Niagara River up to Niagara-on-the-Lake, which is a gorgeous town on Lake Ontario that hosts the Shaw (Theatre) Festival. There are beautiful old homes and perfectly clean streets with shops and cafes in abundance. I have been there twice.

Home | Niagara-on-the-Lake Chamber of Commerce
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g154999-Activities-Niagara_on_the_Lake_Ontario.html

I took my late mother to both Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake the year before she passed away, and I took my older sister there about 7 years ago (my sister and I continued further north up to Sudbury, Canada, then over and down through Michigan to Wisconsin--so now I have seen all 5 of the Great Lakes). Mom and I went to see a play while we were there and stayed in an old mansion that had been renovated to a beautiful B&B. My sister and I visited the wineries.

Back
Top Bottom