Chicken wings, backs and other pieces

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:27 AM
[Mod.Edit: this and following few posts moved to form a new thread (MG)]

I am appalled at the price of wings everywhere, though I do enjoy eating them! I'd probably try that South Philly-Mexico cheesesteak.
Me too about the wings, and they generally manage to overcook them, the flats at least. I don't get them out anymore. We have 2 bags of wings in the freezer that I got when they were on sale for $0.99 a pound.

I thought about getting that sandwich, but I've been wanting a smash burger, so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wings.
I love wings.
They are looked down on a little bit here but I love them!
If they are looked down upon, does that mean they are cheaper? When I was a kid back in the 70s, wings were cheap, like around .30 cents a lb. Now they are often over $3 a pound at the grocery store and it just blows my mind. I'd rather get some drumsticks and treat them like wings.

If they are looked down upon, does that mean they are cheaper? When I was a kid back in the 70s, wings were cheap, like around .30 cents a lb. Now they are often over $3 a pound at the grocery store and it just blows my mind. I'd rather get some drumsticks and treat them like wings.
They are cheaper but it’s the fat content and bones that gets them a bad wrap.

They are cheaper but it’s the fat content and bones that gets them a bad wrap.
I think chicken backs deserve a bad rap but not wings. And if they are breaded, fried, and then doused in sauce and dipped in ranch or blue cheese...well they aren't going to be low fat that's for sure!

Chicken skin in general is not rated here.
I don’t know what chicken backs are?
The back of a chicken. There's like no meat on it other than the little divets of tender flesh on either side of the spine.

I love taking the skin off chicken and baking it in my toaster oven with some salt on it until it's super crispy. Chicken chicharrones.

The back of a chicken. There's like no meat on it other than the little divets of tender flesh on either side of the spine.

I love taking the skin off chicken and baking it in my toaster oven with some salt on it until it's super crispy. Chicken chicharrones.

I’m so with you!
We’d more likely call it chicken crackling. It’s divine in a chicken sandwich.
Those little divots here are called chicken oysters.
But they are considered the chefs treat. Their existence isn’t something thats widely shared or known about.
The back of a chicken here generally ends up as pet food!

I’m so with you!
We’d more likely call it chicken crackling. It’s divine in a chicken sandwich.
Those little divots here are called chicken oysters.
But they are considered the chefs treat. Their existence isn’t something thats widely shared or known about.
The back of a chicken here generally ends up as pet food!
It's great for making stock. Bones, fat, and skin are all excellent sources of collagen which if more women thought about it, they'd be drinking that stuff as a beauty treatment. I know it's kept my wrinkles at bay.

I think people here might refer to the divets as chicken tenderloins? It's my favorite part of the turkey at Thanksgiving.

It's great for making stock. Bones, fat, and skin are all excellent sources of collagen which if more women thought about it, they'd be drinking that stuff as a beauty treatment. I know it's kept my wrinkles at bay.

I think people here might refer to the divets as chicken tenderloins? It's my favorite part of the turkey at Thanksgiving.

Oh yes if you have the whole bird, you don’t want to waste that glorious concentrated gelatine stuff.
But honestly people in the UK prefer chicken breast over other types of chicken 🤷‍♀️

I think it’s wrong and other cuts are juicier, more flavourful and versatile but a lot of people here want chicken breast.

Oh yes if you have the whole bird, you don’t want to waste that glorious concentrated gelatine stuff.
But honestly people in the UK prefer chicken breast over other types of chicken 🤷‍♀️

I think it’s wrong and other cuts are juicier, more flavourful and versatile but a lot of people here want chicken breast.
People in the US are the same, which is why there are so many health problems that past generations didn't encounter, not getting enough of the good stuff in their diets. I like the thighs quite well, especially with fried chicken.

I like to cook skin in a skillet over medium-low heat until the fat renders, then turn it up to medium to crisp the skin. That way, I get crispy skin and schmaltz for later use .

I've always heard those little back pieces called oysters, and the little flap on the 1 side of the tendon on the breasts the tenderloin.

Back
Top Bottom