Chicken wings, backs and other pieces

I like to cook skin in a skillet over medium-low heat until the fat renders, then turn it up to medium to crisp the skin. That way, I get crispy skin and schmaltz for later use .

I've always heard those little back pieces called oysters, and the little flap on the 1 side of the tendon on the breasts the tenderloin.

Ditto to all of that.

Ditto to all of that.
I like to cook skin in a skillet over medium-low heat until the fat renders, then turn it up to medium to crisp the skin. That way, I get crispy skin and schmaltz for later use .

I've always heard those little back pieces called oysters, and the little flap on the 1 side of the tendon on the breasts the tenderloin.
Okay then, love me some oysters! But I like the real oysters even better...

k up and eat eMe too.

Bought six today! Morrisons (supermarket) might have a budget style image but their fish counter is fantastic. Bought skate wings while I was there too. Yum yum.

Pity that Morrisons don't sell them on-line.

Back on topic. I tend to prefer thighs as they are tastier and more succulent. I don't really understand wings as there are so many bones and not much meat. I've never tried them though. In general, I really don't like foods that need to be picked up and gnawed at - they do, don't they?

I really don't like foods that need to be picked up and gnawed at - they do, don't they?
Yes, generally they do, as they’re quite small.

I’m another one who doesn’t usually like finger foods, but that’s part of the attraction with wings, it’s sort of a visceral thing, like being a cave dweller from eons ago, tossing spent wings over your shoulder as you deplete them.

Being a knife-and-fork man most days, I did find a video once of a very proper young lady demoing how to eat hot wings with utensils!

MrsT comes from the Land of Wings, and that was the first time I’d ever had them, and I love them. It used to be a cheap date for us back in the ‘80’s - every bar and restaurant in town had 10¢ wings night and a group of us would go and order hundreds and devour them.

I used to even buy them from one of any number of filling stations there, sort of like some gas stations sell hot dogs and pizza slices, they sold hot wings, a dozen in a foil bag, for just a couple of bucks.

Pity that Morrisons don't sell them on-line.

Back on topic. I tend to prefer thighs as they are tastier and more succulent. I don't really understand wings as there are so many bones and not much meat. I've never tried them though. In general, I really don't like foods that need to be picked up and gnawed at - they do, don't they?
I don’t mind the picking them up, generally with them being fatty the bones just slide straight out, one or two bites and they’re gone.
Drumsticks I’m not so fond of, they're not bite sized and it’s impossible not to get a greasy face, they are not something I enjoy.
Greasy hands yes, greasy face nope 👎

Anyone got some good wing recipes? Here's it's not a very common menu item, but I am game as I love to roast a chicken but only wings seems easier 😊

Recipe - Pina Colada wings

Recipe - Pier 66 Mandarin Wings

Then, there's Buffalo wings, marinated in a mix of hot sauce and melted butter, then grilled baked or fried. Recipes abound. Served with celery and carrot sticks, with a Bleu cheese dipping sauce.

I've never posted it, but we have a recipe for wings from a coal fired pizza local chain place. Marinated in garlic, rosemary, parsley, lemon juice, EVOO, then cooked in the ovens they use for the pizza, served mixed with a bunch of caramelized onions and strips of rosemary Focaccia. I can copy and paste recipe if anybody wants it.

Anyone got some good wing recipes? Here's it's not a very common menu item, but I am game as I love to roast a chicken but only wings seems easier 😊
I have three methods for making hot (aka Buffalo) wings - dry out overnight in the fridge and bake, outside barbecue grill, and a boil-and-bake method.

I’m employing that last one tomorrow, so I’ll get it documented for you.

The traditional way is deep-fried, of course, but I don’t like deep-frying, especially wings, because they stink something awful when frying.

I love smoked wings. There is this place in Austin, Texas called "The Green Mesquite" that serves them, best wings I have ever eaten (DH thought so too). That's where I had them the first time. My DH made some for us last year with his new electric smoker and they came out really good. Not quite as good at TGM though.

I've never eaten chicken wings and probably never will. Chicken breast, thighs, yeah, ok, but wings? That's got to be the scrawniest bit of the bird! Yet I see them on menus toted as some exotic gourmet treat ( and priced as such).
A definite NO to chicken wings.

I've never eaten chicken wings and probably never will. Chicken breast, thighs, yeah, ok, but wings? That's got to be the scrawniest bit of the bird! Yet I see them on menus toted as some exotic gourmet treat ( and priced as such).
A definite NO to chicken wings.
Isn't there a saying about the best meat is closest to the bone? Also, don't knock em till you try em?

Honestly, I've never seen them touted as an exotic gourmet treat. They are bar and dive food, invented in a bar, served in bars and dives, and as appys in some mid range restaurants.

BTW, I used to love legs, but now I'd rather have wings than legs.

Recipe - Pina Colada wings

Recipe - Pier 66 Mandarin Wings

Then, there's Buffalo wings, marinated in a mix of hot sauce and melted butter, then grilled baked or fried. Recipes abound. Served with celery and carrot sticks, with a Bleu cheese dipping sauce.

I've never posted it, but we have a recipe for wings from a coal fired pizza local chain place. Marinated in garlic, rosemary, parsley, lemon juice, EVOO, then cooked in the ovens they use for the pizza, served mixed with a bunch of caramelized onions and strips of rosemary Focaccia. I can copy and paste recipe if anybody wants it.
I’d like to see that recipe 👍

Growing up 1 chicken did 6 of us
Grandparents mum and us 3 kids. Me middle boy. I only ever got drums.
I 'HATE drums now. I only eat white meat and thighs.
I do like bbq wings though
But wife wont buy..it's fattening '!!!

Russ
I heard they were fattening and believed it because they have proportionally more skin and taste fattier than any other part of the chicken but Mr SSOAP occasionally diets so I was surprised to see the calorie count on them was as low as it was.

Of course whether all that meat fat is good for you is another topic 😬 😋

I don’t view them in the same category as other chicken I’d cook with or serve (thighs are my preference for recipes) I see them as a treat, same as picking at a bowl of pistachios while watching something cracking on tv.

Back
Top Bottom