Places to visit in North America

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:58 PM
Mod edit: New thread started on the subject of living off grid in Alaska

I was watching a show about these guys who live off the grid in Alaska and there was this one guy who was out fishing, hoping for a cod or a salmon, and he caught a skate instead and threw it back. I think he must not be that hungry.

Last edited:
I was watching a show about these guys who live off the grid in Alaska and there was this one guy who was out fishing, hoping for a cod or a salmon, and he caught a skate instead and threw it back. I think he must not be that hungry.
Wow the wildlife must be abundant!

How does this living off grid thing work?
In the UK that's simply not possible. Every single bit of land is owned or presided over by a council. They do not give permission for dwellings like that.

You can't even wild camp in England or Wales and I read Scotlands thinking of ditching allowing it too.

Wow the wildlife must be abundant!

How does this living off grid thing work?
In the UK that's simply not possible. Every single bit of land is owned or presided over by a council. They do not give permission for dwellings like that.

You can't even wild camp in England or Wales and I read Scotlands thinking of ditching allowing it too.
In a place like Alaska, there's just wild territory all over the place, and yes, wildlife is abundant everywhere. Im sure the cities like Juneau and Fairbanks are civilized though. Solar panels, catching rainwater, etc. is a lifestyle thats not for me. And being cold!

I think SNSSO has a somewhat "off the grid" lifestyle but at least she and her husband can grow food and raise chickens. It's too cold in Alaska to grow crops as far as I know.

Last edited:
In a place like Alaska, there's just wild territory all over the place, and yes, wildlife is abundant everywhere. Im sure the cities like Juneau and Fairbanks are civilized though. Solar panels, catching rainwater, etc. is a lifestyle thats not for me. And being cold!

I think SNSSO has a somewhat "off the grid" lifestyle but at least she and her husband can grow food and raise chickens. It's too cold in Alaska to grow crops as far as I know.
I wondered how the land thing worked. Does the land not belong to anyone and if it doesn’t the local regulatory body doesn’t impose restrictions?

I wondered how the land thing worked. Does the land not belong to anyone and if it doesn’t the local regulatory body doesn’t impose restrictions?
I've honestly no idea, I guess a lot of it belongs to the government? I'll have to look into that.

I’m not sure if this sounds like fun or not, I think it does.
What do you think?
Um, not for me personally, but I could see how others might enjoy it. I just think that there's not much of a chance of finding anything but I could be wrong.

Thread diverting again. Sorry CB.

Um, not for me personally, but I could see how others might enjoy it. I just think that there's not much of a chance of finding anything but I could be wrong.

Thread diverting again. Sorry CB.
So we have sorry 😬
I think the chances are very small but I don’t think that matters much 🤔
Apparently 1-2 diamonds are found in the park each day and they plough it about three times a year to help bring them up.
Edit: well so I just read now I know it’s real 😂

So we have sorry 😬
I think the chances are very small but I don’t think that matters much 🤔
Apparently 1-2 diamonds are found in the park each day and they plough it about three times a year to help bring them up.
Edit: well so I just read now I know it’s real 😂
I reported my 1st post starting with Alaska asking for a new thread...

It's too cold in Alaska to grow crops as far as I know.
They grow stuff in Alaska. We were in Fairbanks several years ago and saw cabbages the size of basketballs - the restaurant owner explained that the growing season is very short, but the extreme amount of sunlight means things can grow nearly around-the-clock for a short while.

They grow stuff in Alaska. We were in Fairbanks several years ago and saw cabbages the size of basketballs - the restaurant owner explained that the growing season is very short, but the extreme amount of sunlight means things can grow nearly around-the-clock for a short while.
Good to know, thanks! I guess lettuce probably does well then but probably not basil, lol!

Back
Top Bottom