Acacia Cutting Boards

billmarsano

Local time
4:12 AM
Does anyone have experience with Acacia boards? Are there warpage problems or are they hard on blades, or whatever? I've seen and am tempted by a well-price board that is also supersized (18x24), but I'd like some expert advice first.

Wise of you to ask. No, I have no experience, at least not aware. Perhaps back when I might have had one, not knowing it was Acacia specifically.

Other members may have.

There was a time when I used a hard glass one. It was cool, but recently I either use a plate or a plastic one.

Sorry I can't help. I have bamboo and plastic.

I have a plastic one for cutting chicken so I can put it in the dishwasher. Otherwise I use maple cutting boards.

acacia is relatively easy to work with - i.e. cut//glue/etc
it does have a higher silica level which will dull tools faster than other woods.

the main drawback is it's tendency to warp with varying humidity/moisture environments.
that problem is made much worse if the acacia has not been dried properly = very long dry times...

are you thinking to cut down the 18x24 to something smaller?
how thick is the board?

Does anyone have experience with Acacia boards? Are there warpage problems or are they hard on blades, or whatever? I've seen and am tempted by a well-price board that is also supersized (18x24), but I'd like some expert advice first.
Hmmm, I don't know for certain, but I might have one or two. I know I was looking at them some years ago and thought they were lovely, I think I did buy a couple. Mostly I just use my silicone mats over my large chopping block.

Are the ones you are looking at terribly expensive? Why not just give it a go if not and find out for yourself?

Edit: I didn't read through all of the posts before I posted the above.

Edited again to say that I am seeing a lot of positive comments and reviews about them.

I was wondering about warpage, I read it as War Page and couldn't figure out what that had to do with cutting board.
No experience with them although I got plenty accacia trees around my house

Back
Top Bottom