Annatto oil

grumpyoldman

Local time
11:56 AM
i have been wanting to tinker with a new fried chicken recipe and i remembered reading somewhere about a recipe that used annatto oil but i have no idea how to use it in frying chicken , i deep fry chicken in a 1 gal. deep fryer, do i add the annatto oil to the frying oil ?

Last edited:
Gosh. I use annatto but have only ever used the powder or seed. I didn't know you could buy oil. I doubt you could use it to fry. My feeling is that it would be used as a finishing oil or possibly in a marinade for its deep yellow colour and distinctive taste. But I haven't researched this...

Last edited:
It sounds like it would be one of those cold pressed oils that oxidises at high temps so wouldn't be a good one for frying.
Am I right in thinking seed oils are all more oxidative?
I feel like it's something important that I should know but haven't committed to memory!

i will keep searching the internet till i find that recipe and see how they used it

annato/onoto/ achiote is commonly used in Latin American cuisine, especially in Mexico.
i deep fry chicken in a 1 gal. deep fryer, do i add the annatto oil to the frying oil ?
The oil would be lost if you put it in the deep fryer. What I'd probably do in this case is to deep fry, then finish the chicken in a skillet with the annato oil. It's got a lovely, earthy, slightly sweet flavour.
Have you got any annato oil? If not, just dump some seeds into a jar with olive oil and let the flavours mature.
In Mexico, they typically smear the protein with annato paste, or use the paste in a salsa.
Edit: if you're deep-frying the chicken as it is, the oil would disappear. You could probably use the oil to marinate the chicken, but in that case, I'd probably breadcrumb the chicken before frying, to help keep the annato flavour in.

i can't find the recipe on the web anymore , i think i am going to buy both the oil and the powder and experimint with them , i am thinking about adding the powder to the brine and see what happens , i never pan fry chicken

Back
Top Bottom