Are potatoes the perfect food?

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
3:20 AM
The Irish relied on potatoes so much (for food and income) that many died when a blight killed their crops. I recently have fell in love with fresh potatoes. I eat baked potatoes (with a variety of toppings), homemade French fries, hash browns, whipped potatoes, salad and fried skillet chips. What other ways have you made your potatoes into a scrumptious food?

Well, I do not know if to say that potatoes are the perfect food, but I definitely like them. I like baked potatoes also, although I have not done them recently. I have never grown tired of French fries and would order them on a regular basis whenever I visit a fast food restaurant. However, I would say my favourite potatoes are mashed cream potatoes and also potato salad. Cream potatoes go well with all kinds of meat. Potato salad is tasty and when eaten by itself can be eaten without meat. Most of the time, however, I would use this as a side dish.

Being British, potatoes are a mainstay in most dishes. The best way is roasted potatoes or a potato au gratin, as a side, or sometimes as a snack. Often a favorite is fried potatoes and onions, which forms a basis for other dishes. If potatoes start to sprout, I mash them and freeze them as they are easier to use then.

It's a versatile food and affordable as it can bulk up a meal. I recently discovered truffle fries, fries cooked or sprinkled with truffle oil and they are good and slight decadent.

Being British, potatoes are a mainstay in most dishes. The best way is roasted potatoes or a potato au gratin, as a side, or sometimes as a snack. Often a favorite is fried potatoes and onions, which forms a basis for other dishes. If potatoes start to sprout, I mash them and freeze them as they are easier to use then.

It's a versatile food and affordable as it can bulk up a meal. I recently discovered truffle fries, fries cooked or sprinkled with truffle oil and they are good and slight decadent.
Have you tried homity pie? If not give it a try :)

Shepherd's pie is another nice dish which is made with potatoes. This is cooked with minced meat. I use a very simple recipe. After the potatoes have been cooked and mashed, they are then placed in a buttered dish. The minced meat which would have already been seasoned and cooked, with salt, pepper, onions, celery and tomato sauce, is then added to the potato in layers...potato then minced meat all the way until the dish is full, ending with the potato. A can of tin peas which would have been mixed in with the minced meat, would also be a part of this dish. The dish is then placed in the oven and baked for about 30 to 45 minutes, making a very tasty dish when finished.

Have you tried homity pie? If not give it a try :)

Yes, homity pie is great for this time of year. It's like a cheese and potato baked pie which is an ultimate comfort food. I like to add some mustard to the potatoes and some peas and onions to it as well for some extra color and texture.

Yes, homity pie is great for this time of year. It's like a cheese and potato baked pie which is an ultimate comfort food. I like to add some mustard to the potatoes and some peas and onions to it as well for some extra color and texture.
Ours is mashed potatoes, fried onions, petite pois and soya cream. Yummy

The Irish relied on potatoes so much (for food and income) that many died when a blight killed their crops. I recently have fell in love with fresh potatoes. I eat baked potatoes (with a variety of toppings), homemade French fries, hash browns, whipped potatoes, salad and fried skillet chips. What other ways have you made your potatoes into a scrumptious food?
Potatoes are just a little bit to starchy, but they are a cheap way to feed a family. I eat them at times. I make hash browns and add them to soups.

Shepherd's pie is another nice dish which is made with potatoes. This is cooked with minced meat. I use a very simple recipe. After the potatoes have been cooked and mashed, they are then placed in a buttered dish. The minced meat which would have already been seasoned and cooked, with salt, pepper, onions, celery and tomato sauce, is then added to the potato in layers...potato then minced meat all the way until the dish is full, ending with the potato. A can of tin peas which would have been mixed in with the minced meat, would also be a part of this dish. The dish is then placed in the oven and baked for about 30 to 45 minutes, making a very tasty dish when finished.

I have had a version of Shepard's pie made with boiled ground beef. I don't like the taste of mince meat. I do enjoy reheated mashed potatoes, though. I just made a big pot-full of homemade mashed potatoes, and we barely ate half. I am considering cooking them in something. My mom always made Shepard's pie for me. I have never attempted it myself. I may have to consider it. I am ready for something different.

Back
Top Bottom