Recipe Armenian/Turkish Lahmacun

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
5:01 PM
I dated an Armenian woman once and thats how I got introduced to this little gem. It’s almost like a little pizza with ground lamb or beef but very spice enriched which I really enjoy. It’s great on its own and also great with a soup or salad.

The recipe I’m posting used store bought pizza dough as a timesaver, however I recommend making your own dough if you have time. Both are great but homemade dough is the best IMO and what I used here..I followed this recipe exactly as posted and it came out really nice. Maybe I’ll add a little more garlic next time:wink:

IMG_9342.jpeg

INGREDIENTS
½ lb (227 grams) uncooked store-bought organic pizza dough
½ sweet red pepper, cored, cut into chunks
1 shallot, halved
2 garlic cloves, peeled
½ oz fresh parsley leaves with some stem
7 oz ground lamb or ground beef
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp Aleppo-style pepper
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Lemon wedges for later

METHOD
Heat oven to 450F (232C). Adjust oven rack to the middle.

Preparing the spiced meat mixture - In the large food processor, fitted with blade (or blender), add red peppers, shallot, garlic, and parsley. Pulse a few times to chop. Now add ground lamb (or beef). Season with all your spices and salt. Add your tomato paste and extra virgin olive oil. Now pulse again until well-combined (about 8 to 10 pulses.)

Prepare one large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If your oven is large enough prepare 2 baking sheets, otherwise do this is batches.

Divide the dough into 4 equal balls (about 2 oz each.) Make sure your dough is room temp and not too elastic. Working with one ball of dough at a time, place on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out into as thin as you can to a disk that's about 8 or 9 inches in diameter.

Assemble the Lahmacun - Place one flatbread disk on one of the prepared pans. Reshape as needed. Spoon 3–4 tbsp topping onto dough and spread topping evenly to edges, leaving a thin boarder. If you have extra spice mixture just divide it between your breads.

Bake in heated oven for about 5 to 7 minutes or until dough and meat are fully cooked. The dough will begin to get crusty around the edges and a little Brown. Thats your hint that they are nearly done.

Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the remaining dough.

Squeeze a little lemon juice on top. Serve Lahmacun hot or at room temperature.

Source

That looks great. I don't think I've ever tried one, but that combination of spices looks really tempting.

Back
Top Bottom