Recipe Asparagus couscous ‘risotto’ with truffle butter

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:40 PM
In her wonderful book The Flavour Thesaurus (a must for any keen cook), Niki Segnit suggests pairing asparagus with black truffle. Its a delightful combination. The slightly sulphurous tang of cooked asparagus works so well with the musky, earthy truffle taste. I can buy truffle butter for a reasonable price, but of course you could make your own if you can afford fresh truffles. Otherwise, substitute truffle oil. Giant couscous (sometimes sold as Israeli couscous) makes an excellent substitute for risotto rice, because it releases starch in the same way, resulting in a creamy result without the use of dairy cream.

fullsizeoutput_8635.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
Approx.10 spears of medium asparagus (180g)
25g butter
½ large banana shallot, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, grated
Splash of white wine
100g giant couscous
200 ml vegetable stock
100ml water, or as needed
40g finely grated Parmesan or vegetarian substitute
Truffle butter

Method
  1. Cook the asparagus by steaming, simmering in water or microwaving until just tender (I microwaved). Cut each spear into into three or four pieces. Set aside.
  2. Melt the butter in a saucepan or non-stick frying pan. Add the onion and cook gently until it begins to soften.
  3. Add the garlic and cook for a further few minutes. Add the couscous and cook, stirring often, until it begins to slightly brown.
  4. Add a splash of wine and allow it to evaporate over the heat.
  5. Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes, then start gradually adding water, simmering until you reach the desired creamy consistency.
  6. Add the Parmesan and stir well. Add salt to taste.
  7. Carefully stir in the cooked asparagus pieces and simmer until they are heated through. Stir in a few pieces of truffle butter.
  8. Serve with truffle butter on the side, so that more can be added if desired.
fullsizeoutput_8638.jpeg

Giant couscous (sometimes sold as Israeli couscous)
Seems like where I live, that big stuff (which looks lovely, I must say) is sold as pearl couscous.

I’m thinking that would also work well substituting in artichoke (not that it isn’t delicious as-is). I’ve had a hankering for artichoke lately.

Seems like where I live, that big stuff (which looks lovely, I must say) is sold as pearl couscous.

I’m thinking that would also work well substituting in artichoke (not that it isn’t delicious as-is). I’ve had a hankering for artichoke lately.

Globe artichoke I presume not Jerusalem? Yes, its called pearl couscous too.

Globe artichoke I presume not Jerusalem?
Yes.

To be honest any vegetable you might use in risotto would work - as would mushrooms. But the interesting pairing is the asparagus with truffle.
I took a little sidetrack and was just reading that artichoke and truffle pair exceptionally well, so now I want that!

Surprised you like truffles...
I can in small amounts, when used very, very sparingly, and I’m more intrigued by the flavor-matching aspect. That’s interesting, because there are some things I can’t tolerate the taste of on its own (honey), but I couldn’t live without as an ingredient. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Definitely going to try this. I LOVE risotto, Craig not so much. He likes the barley risotto I make so hopefully he'll like couscous risotto as well.

Is that white truffle butter in the pictures?

Back
Top Bottom