Recipe Avgolemono chicken egg lemon soup

Timenspace

Legendary Member
Local time
3:51 AM
Adapted from a recipe for Avgolemono, Greek chicken egg and lemon soup, read on The Kitchn ( without the E) website.

Ingredients:

1 chicken breast fillet (other parts of chicken would do well to, possibly even fish)
1 onion
70 g quinoa (dry)
1 lemon (for the lemon juice)
3 eggs ( recipe called for 4, I used 3, however, next time I would even go down to 2)

4 cups of stock ( I used 2 tablespoons powdered vegetable stock and boiling water poured over, you can use any to your liking)

4 pinches of salt (or to taste)
4 pinches of ground black pepper (or to taste, or omit)

Method:

Sauté the onion, with salt and pepper, add the meat. Simmer for an hour on medium low.

Take the meat out.

Strain The liquid. I mashed the cooked onion as much as possible through the sieve, to have it included in the clear stock. Deduce 2 cups of stock in which you just cooked the meat in and strained, set aside.

Turn off stove.

Cool the chicken down and shred/cut the meat.

Bring the remaining stock in the pot to boil. Add quinoa, allow to boil for 20 to 30 minutes. Originally, the recipe calls for Orzo. You can use Orzo or sub with any pasta or grain/carb you like. You could also omit it, if desired.

Add the chicken and reduce to low.

Meanwhile, the crucial part is the tempering of the eggs and lemon. Whisk the raw eggs. Juice and strain the lemon.

Add the lemon slowly into the eggs, whisking vigorously. Add the set aside warm stock, also slowly, and keep whisking vigorously. That should prevent the eggs from curding, but also gently cook the eggs, but you know that already.

Transfer the combined liquid back into the pot, stir, keep it simmering for 3 more minutes, but do not bring it to boil again.

Serve and enjoy!

To me, the lemon juice gave extraordinary freshness. I love lemons, so to me it was heavenly. The chicken and quinoa make this a hearty dish, and the eggs subtly too, although they are almost invisible.

The soup is gorgeous both warm and cold.

20240717_142628.jpg
20240717_135827.jpg

20240717_142657.jpg
20240717_142643.jpg
20240717_142631.jpg

20240717_135420.jpg

Back
Top Bottom