Recipe Avocado and tomato quiche (made with avocado pastry)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
7:27 AM
Making pastry with avocado might sound a little strange but its quite simple; avocado replaces the fat content in the shortcrust pastry. The benefit is that the calories of the pastry are are significantly reduced (a reduction as much as 550 calories in this quiche), yet the pastry tastes rather buttery. The pastry won't be very crispy but has a soft crumb texture.

In this quiche, the avocado custard filling is vibrant green and has slightly sweet anise taste, a perfect combination with some colourful baby tomatoes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

fullsizeoutput_8733.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8746.jpeg

Ingredients
For the pastry:
Flesh of one medium avocado, roughly chopped
200g plain flour (approx.)
1/2 tsp salt

For the filling:
150g frozen peas
Flesh of one avocado, roughly chopped
4 eggs
1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 tsp salt
15 assorted small tomatoes of various sizes, halved
Tarragon to scatter

Method
For the pastry
  1. Heat the oven to 180c
  2. Place avocado, flour and salt in a bowl. Rub the avocado into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  3. Add just enough water to bring the mixture together into a dough.Turn onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth.
  4. Roll out the pastry until large enough to line the flan tin (I used a 23cm tin).
  5. Line the tin with the pastry, trim the edges and bake blind for 10 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven

For the filling:
  1. Place the peas in a bowl and cover in boiling water. Immediately drain and add to a mixing jug.
  2. Add the chopped avocado, eggs, tarragon and salt to the jug. Blend until smooth (I used a stick blender).
  3. Pour into the pastry crust.
  4. Bake the quiche for 20 minutes and then add the halved tomatoes.
  5. Cook for a further 15 minutes.
  6. Scatter chopped tarragon over the top.

fullsizeoutput_8736.jpeg

Last edited:
Making pastry with avocado might sound a little strange but its quite simple; avocado replaces the fat content in the shortcrust pastry. The benefit is that the calories of the pastry are are significantly reduced (a reduction as much as 550 calories in this quiche), yet the pastry tastes rather buttery. The pastry won't be very crispy but has a soft crumb texture.

In this quiche, the avocado custard filling is vibrant green and has slightly sweet anise taste, a perfect combination with some colourful baby tomatoes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

View attachment 118659

View attachment 118658

Ingredients
For the pastry:
1/2 tsp salt

For the filling:
150g frozen peas
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
Tarragon to scatter

Method
For the pastry
  1. Heat the oven to 180c
  2. Place avocado, flour and salt in a bowl. Rub the avocado into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  3. Add just enough eater to bring the mixture together into a dough.Turn onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth.
  4. Roll out the pastry until large enough to line the flan tin (I used a 23cm tin).
  6. Remove from oven

For the filling:
  1. Place the peas in a bowl and cover in boiling water. Immediately drain and add to a mixing jug.
  2. Add the chopped avocado, eggs, tarragon and salt to the jug. Blend until smooth (I used a stick blender).

View attachment 118660
That's so pretty. Infusing the crust with the avocado is clever and I like how the crust didn't turn a nasty olive drab green.

One of my recipe ideas was to make nachos using homemade avocado infused tortilla chips and I was wondering if they would be a sickly green color (but since they were going to be topped with other ingredients it wouldn't matter as long as the tortillas tasted good).

I think I'd like to try to make this but perhaps I would put some king crab in mine. I have some in the freezer. One other idea I had was to make a king crab and avocado salad with cilantro and tomatoes from our garden...

BTW, there's a typo under #3 for the pastry (eater) I think you meant batter?

Oh also, did you serve this warm or cold?

BTW, there's a typo under #3 for the pastry (eater) I think you meant batter?

Oops thanks! Its supposed to be water. I will correct...

I think I'd like to try to make this but perhaps I would put some king crab in mine

Crab would be great as a filling. Crab and avocado are great together.

Oops thanks! Its supposed to be water. I will correct...

Crab would be great as a filling. Crab and avocado are great together.
I've got these colossal king crab arms that are nearly as long as my arms and probably 2-3 inches in diameter in some places. I love crab. Although yours is a nice vegetarian option and dairy free to boot. I am so accustomed to using cream or half-n-half in my quiche but it would be a great way to cut back on the dairy.

View attachment 118659

View attachment 118658

Ingredients
For the pastry:
1/2 tsp salt

For the filling:
150g frozen peas
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
Tarragon to scatter

Method
For the pastry
  1. Heat the oven to 180c
  3. Add just enough water to bring the mixture together into a dough.Turn onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth.
  6. Remove from oven

For the filling:

View attachment 118660
I’d be thrilled to be served something so good looking.
Love the flavour combos and even like the peas blended in.
Your tomatoes look amazing where did you get them from?

I’d be thrilled to be served something so good looking.
Love the flavour combos and even like the peas blended in.
Your tomatoes look amazing where did you get them from?
Thanks. I got the tomatoes from Ocado and Morrisons It was a mix of two packets I think. The bigger darker ones are The Best Viola cocktail from Morrisons. The smaller ones are Isle of Wight speciality mix. I should have mentioned I charred the tops after cooking with a culinary blow torch.

Thanks. I got the tomatoes from Ocado and Morrisons It was a mix of two packets I think. The bigger darker ones are The Best Viola cocktail from Morrisons. The smaller ones are Isle of Wight speciality mix. I should have mentioned I charred the tops after cooking with a culinary blow torch.
Isle of Wight toms 🥰
The Morrison's viola look good too.
As they are delivering tomoz I have time to add them to the order! 😊

Back
Top Bottom