Recipe Avocado Arepas

Local time
4:35 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_4325.jpeg

I really wanted to press fresh tortillas from masa harina, but I never could find the time. So, I simplified, cutting shapes out of flour tortillas I already had. This reciple can be made even simpler by just buying guacamole. But, this recipe is predominantly about how I make guacamole.

Ingredients

6 avocados, pitted
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 tomato, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lime, juiced
Tajin seasoning
salt as needed
flour tortillas
bacon grease or oil

Directions

1. Scoop out the flesh of the avocadoes and place in a bowl. If you're using the overripe avocadoes I used, avoid the parts that aren't green, since they will contribute a bitterness to the finished product. Stir in all except for the tortillas and bacon grease.

IMG_4321.jpeg

2. Using a ring mold, cut discs out of the tortillas. Fill one disc with the guacamole. Moisten the tortilla surrounding the guacamole, and place another tortilla disc over the top. Press along the edges, and use a fork to seal the arepa.

IMG_4322.jpeg
IMG_4323.jpeg

3. In a pan on medium heat, melt bacon grease or use oil to coat the pan. Heat arepas for a minute or two, until browned to your liking. Flip over and cook the other side. Serve while hot with salsa.
IMG_4324.jpeg

View attachment 118377

I really wanted to press fresh tortillas from masa harina, but I never could find the time. So, I simplified, cutting shapes out of flour tortillas I already had. This reciple can be made even simpler by just buying guacamole. But, this recipe is predominantly about how I make guacamole.

Ingredients

6 avocados, pitted
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 tomato, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lime, juiced
Tajin seasoning
salt as needed
flour tortillas
bacon grease or oil

Directions

1. Scoop out the flesh of the avocadoes and place in a bowl. If you're using the overripe avocadoes I used, avoid the parts that aren't green, since they will contribute a bitterness to the finished product. Stir in all except for the tortillas and bacon grease.

View attachment 118375

2. Using a ring mold, cut discs out of the tortillas. Fill one disc with the guacamole. Moisten the tortilla surrounding the guacamole, and place another tortilla disc over the top. Press along the edges, and use a fork to seal the arepa.

View attachment 118376View attachment 118379

3. In a pan on medium heat, melt bacon grease or use oil to coat the pan. Heat arepas for a minute or two, until browned to your liking. Flip over and cook the other side. Serve while hot with salsa.
View attachment 118378
Looks good! Similar to something I'm doing but not exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom