Recipe Babi Kecap (Indonesian Pork Belly)

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
6:45 PM
This is a delicious Indonesian dish I came across recently that I had never cooked so I went for it! Nice and spicy with great flavor, a little sweetness and oh those delicious Makrut lime leaves:) A little on the fatty side as you’d imagine but filling so you can feed 4-6 people with this recipe with some rice or other side. The best part is its a one-pot recipe so give your dishwasher a break!

IMG_9141.jpeg

INGREDIENTS
FOR THE SAMBAL PASTE
5 banana shallots
3 candlenuts or macadamia nuts
3 red bird’s eye chillies, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
5cm (2 inches) ginger, roughly chopped
½ tsp ground turmeric

FOR THE STEW
2 tbsp rapeseed (canola) oil
700g (1 ½ lbs) pork belly, cut into 5cm (2 inch chunks) Or pork chops if you want leaner
2 makrut lime leaves
1 tbsp medium hot sauce (your choice)
6 tbsp kecap manis
1 tbsp tamarind concentrate (see page 00) or shop bought
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp palm sugar or light brown sugar

GARNISH
2 red spur chillies, thinly sliced to garnish
2 Green Onions whole or sliced

METHOD
1. Get out that blender and toss in the shallots, candlenuts/macadamia nuts, chillies, garlic, ginger and ground turmeric and blend to a smooth paste. Add in a little water if needed to help things blend and give you a nice paste consistency. Set aside.

2. Now heat a Dutch oven or other large high sided frying pan that has a lid over medium high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the pork belly pieces and brown the meat on all sides, about 5 minutes. Don’t overcrowd your meat and brown in 2 or 3 batches if needed. You want to build caramelization not steam your meat!

3. Add your Pork back to the pan. Then add the prepared sambal paste and stir well to combine. Cook for another 3 minutes to cook out the rawness of the sambal and those wonderful aromatics begin to fill your kitchen.

4. Now add enough water to cover the meat and bring to a simmer over a high heat. Stir in the sugar, reduce heat to medium, cover and then simmer for 30 minutes.

5. After 30 minutes remove the lid and stir in the kecap manis, tamarind concentrate and bring back to a boil. Leave the lid off at this point.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until the pork is fall apart tender.

6.To finish, stir in the lemon juice and continue cooking until you have a thick sauce that clings to the meat. Garnish with your sliced Red Spur Chilis and Green Onion. Serve immediately as it is or with white rice.

Source

Looks great! I might just incorporate that into my next Rijsttafel menu! Where did you find all your ingredients? No chance I'd find Makrut lime leaves, but I've got a lime tree in the garden. And what are spur chiles? Do you make your own kecap manis, or have you got a provider?

I make it on a regular base :)
Sometimes using lime leaves, quite often without. Lot and lots of ginger and garlic in mine.
It does very well as part of a rijsttafel

Looks great! I might just incorporate that into my next Rijsttafel menu! Where did you find all your ingredients? No chance I'd find Makrut lime leaves, but I've got a lime tree in the garden. And what are spur chiles? Do you make your own kecap manis, or have you got a provider?
All the ingredients were easy to find here. I found everything at the regular store I go to, the only thing I had to locate elsewhere was the Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce) which I found at an Asian market chain here known as Ranch 99.
I do have a recipe to make it though so if you have trouble locating it I can post that up for you.

Also thank you for mentioning “Rijsttafel.” This was an unfamiliar word to me and now I’m going down that educational rabbit hole learning more about it, traditions etc. My god I so love food and the different cultures they spawn out of. What a boring world this would be if we were all the same.

I make it on a regular base :)
Sometimes using lime leaves, quite often without. Lot and lots of ginger and garlic in mine.
It does very well as part of a rijsttafel
Do you? Thats awesome:) This one flew right by me which is also odd because when I was in my early 20’s my good friends mom was Indonesian and I use to rent a room from them, share meals etc.

Anything with lots of Ginger and Garlic can’t be bad:)

This is a delicious Indonesian dish I came across recently that I had never cooked so I went for it! Nice and spicy with great flavor, a little sweetness and oh those delicious Makrut lime leaves:) A little on the fatty side as you’d imagine but filling so you can feed 4-6 people with this recipe with some rice or other side. The best part is its a one-pot recipe so give your dishwasher a break!

View attachment 114069

INGREDIENTS
FOR THE SAMBAL PASTE
5 banana shallots
3 candlenuts or macadamia nuts
3 red bird’s eye chillies, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
5cm (2 inches) ginger, roughly chopped
½ tsp ground turmeric

FOR THE STEW
2 tbsp rapeseed (canola) oil
700g (1 ½ lbs) pork belly, cut into 5cm (2 inch chunks) Or pork chops if you want leaner
2 makrut lime leaves
1 tbsp medium hot sauce (your choice)
6 tbsp kecap manis
1 tbsp tamarind concentrate (see page 00) or shop bought
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp palm sugar or light brown sugar

GARNISH
2 red spur chillies, thinly sliced to garnish
2 Green Onions whole or sliced

METHOD
1. Get out that blender and toss in the shallots, candlenuts/macadamia nuts, chillies, garlic, ginger and ground turmeric and blend to a smooth paste. Add in a little water if needed to help things blend and give you a nice paste consistency. Set aside.

2. Now heat a Dutch oven or other large high sided frying pan that has a lid over medium high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the pork belly pieces and brown the meat on all sides, about 5 minutes. Don’t overcrowd your meat and brown in 2 or 3 batches if needed. You want to build caramelization not steam your meat!

3. Add your Pork back to the pan. Then add the prepared sambal paste and stir well to combine. Cook for another 3 minutes to cook out the rawness of the sambal and those wonderful aromatics begin to fill your kitchen.

4. Now add enough water to cover the meat and bring to a simmer over a high heat. Stir in the sugar, reduce heat to medium, cover and then simmer for 30 minutes.

5. After 30 minutes remove the lid and stir in the kecap manis, tamarind concentrate and bring back to a boil. Leave the lid off at this point.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until the pork is fall apart tender.

6.To finish, stir in the lemon juice and continue cooking until you have a thick sauce that clings to the meat. Garnish with your sliced Red Spur Chilis and Green Onion. Serve immediately as it is or with white rice.

Source
That looks way too delicious, I just have to have some more of it!

the Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce) which I found at an Asian market chain here known as Ranch 99.
I love the stuff and always make my own, because it's easy to make and is a very versatile condiment.
Also thank you for mentioning “Rijsttafel.”
I got a call from a chef friend about 15 years ago, who'd been asked if she could prepare a "Rice Table" for a client, and she hadn't got a clue. I'd once eaten a Rijsttafel in Aruba, so I had a vague idea. Investigated and found some absolutely fabulous dishes. Apparently the idea started with Dutch colonialists, who would have competitions to see how many dishes they could serve at one sitting, all served around Nasi Goreng, which is an Indonesian rice dish. Little by little, I expanded my Indonesian repertoire and actually had the nerve to do a couple of courses on the subject, even though I've got no idea whether the dishes were authentic or not. (Thank you, internet). I will say, with my very limited experience, that (a) Indonesian food is really wonderful (b) it's also very diverse; influence from India, Indonesia, Muslim, Dutch and who knows what other cuisines, so you can serve beef, pork, chicken, seafood, fish and veggies, and will always please everyone (c) it''s relatively straightforward to prepare; clever use of spices but without the complexity that Indian food sometimes involves and (d) a Rijsttafel is great fun to serve!
Enough from an amateur: both badjak and Windigo know a million times more about this than me.
Here's an internet pic so you get an idea:
1717092273043.png

I love the stuff and always make my own, because it's easy to make and is a very versatile condiment.

I got a call from a chef friend about 15 years ago, who'd been asked if she could prepare a "Rice Table" for a client, and she hadn't got a clue. I'd once eaten a Rijsttafel in Aruba, so I had a vague idea. Investigated and found some absolutely fabulous dishes. Apparently the idea started with Dutch colonialists, who would have competitions to see how many dishes they could serve at one sitting, all served around Nasi Goreng, which is an Indonesian rice dish. Little by little, I expanded my Indonesian repertoire and actually had the nerve to do a couple of courses on the subject, even though I've got no idea whether the dishes were authentic or not. (Thank you, internet). I will say, with my very limited experience, that (a) Indonesian food is really wonderful (b) it's also very diverse; influence from India, Indonesia, Muslim, Dutch and who knows what other cuisines, so you can serve beef, pork, chicken, seafood, fish and veggies, and will always please everyone (c) it''s relatively straightforward to prepare; clever use of spices but without the complexity that Indian food sometimes involves and (d) a Rijsttafel is great fun to serve!
Enough from an amateur: both badjak and Windigo know a million times more about this than me.
Here's an internet pic so you get an idea:
View attachment 114119
Wow that pretty awesome. Thats one heck of a family style spread!

Back
Top Bottom