Bacon Roll - Red or Brown Sauce?!

TheSoloChef

Local time
2:33 PM
Website
www.thesolochef.co.uk
Time for breakfast so having the last of the smoked streaky bacon I got from a local butchers - so a Bacon Roll it is then! Also known as a Bacon Bap, Bacon Cob, Bacon Barm, Bacon Stottie or (at a push) a Bacon Sarnie.

But, before I take a bite, I have one very important question...

20241006_073019015_iOS.jpg

...Red or Brown Sauce?! Needless to say I have the best of both on offer from the tasty Heinz Tomato Sauce and the Houses of Parliament Sauce - but which should I choose?

As an American, it would be…neither. Mayonnaise all the way, and lots of it. As I like to say with respect to mayonnaise paired with…well, almost anything - “If it ain’t oozin’, you be losin’!”

I should add that if it’s specifically for breakfast, then the other alternative would be to replace the sauce with…a fried (or scrambled) egg and some cheese.

Mayo, lettuce and tomato or a bit of butter, egg, and cheese or just cheese and a shot of hot sauce.

As an American, it would be…neither. Mayonnaise all the way, and lots of it. As I like to say with respect to mayonnaise paired with…well, almost anything - “If it ain’t oozin’, you be losin’!”
That is so wrong. Mayonnaise simply disguises everything in a calorific bath of creamy stuff with of fatty mouthfeel.

If I were to add sauce, it would have to be HP. Mayonnaise, not a chance. Just not traditional. Hellman's first arrived in the UK in 1961, so acceptance was slow, and HP has been around since 1895.
Mushrooms - a great addition. I'd add a bit more bacon, too. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mayonnaise on a hot bacon bap in the UK is a big faux pas (just like warming up a British Pork Pie - I caught someone doing that once and couldn't believe my eyes)! In a BLT when the bacon is cold then it is an absolute must.

If I had to choose a sauce myself, it will always be Brown Sauce and IMO the best Brown Sauce is the HP one - just the right amount of fruity tanginess.

Back
Top Bottom