TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
4:41 PM
Bamberg Onion
Makes 2 stuffed onions

Ingredients
2 large onions (I used white onions, because those were the biggest and roundest I found)
2 slices streaky bacon, diced
2 oz or so of a smoked pork product (I used a hard smoked German sausage), finely diced
5 oz ground pork (mine was 20% fat)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp mace
1/2 tsp dried oregano (or marjoram)
2 TB finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 TB all-purpose flour
1-2 TB beef stock (not sure how much difference that makes, but every recipe I checked had it, so…in it goes)
1/2 cup smoked beer (Schlenkerla Rauchbier, if possible)
1 TB unsalted butter

Directions
First, prep your onions: Cut an inch or so off the top, then maybe half that from the bottom, so the onion can sit flat. Peel the onion, then using a spoon or similar implement, hollow out the onion, leaving 1/4-inch or so of the outside shell. Try not to cut through the bottom, but if it happens, it’s not a tragedy. It’ll be fine. Place the prepped onions in small baking dish and set aside. Reserve the onion tops and the onion guts.

Now, onto the filling: warm a skillet over medium-high heat, then toss in the diced bacon. Finely chop the onion innards, and when the bacon has rendered some fat but hasn’t quite crisped, add the chopped onion, cut the heat back a little, and cook just enough to soften the onion, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool a bit while you move on to the rest of the filling.

Into a medium mixing bowl, add the smoked pork, the ground pork, the egg, and the seasonings (everything up to the flour), and the cooled bacon-onion mixture. Mix by hand or with a bowl scraper, being careful not to overwork it.

Now to stuff and bake the onions: set the oven to 375F. While the oven is heating, use a spoon (or your fingers) to stuff the meat mixture into the onions. Depending on the size of the onions and the size of the cavities, you may have some stuffing left over, or you may not have enough to completely fill them, but if possible, go right up to the top of the onion, and then add a little more. Pour enough water to come about 1/4-inch up the sides of the onions (you could optionally use beef or vegetable broth), then place, uncovered, in the center of the preheated oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of your onions. About halfway through, reach in there and put the little onion tops back on the onions.

Time to make the sauce: Once the onions have baked, remove them to a plate, set the skillet with the fat and fond in it back over medium-high heat, then add the flour and cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly. Next, pour in the beer, the broth, and the cooking liquid from the baking dish, scrape up the browned bits, bring to a strong simmer and reduce by about half or so, until it’s the consistency you like. Taste for seasoning, turn off the eat, and finish by stirring in the butter.

That’s it. Traditionally served alongside mashed or boiled potatoes.

Recipe based on a combination of several from around the internet.

IMG_9534.jpeg
IMG_9536.jpeg
IMG_9535.jpeg

I love certain words and the word Bamberg made me think of comforting homely fare. And indeed this recipe seems to be just that, with those jolly looking amply stuffed plump onions.

I always like to see mace as an ingredient. It's an overlooked and underused spice. But I haven't heard of smoked beer before. I'm not a fan of beers that are 'mucked about' such as fruit beers. But smoked beer sounds very intriguing and probably key to this recipe.

Mashed potatoes seem like the perfect accompaniment here.

Ask TastyReuben what I think :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :D :D :D
You know, when I picked this up, I noticed there were actually two smoked beers from that brewery, with nearly identical labels. One could have easily been mistaken for the other, and I’m wondering if you grabbed the other one.

This one tasted like a fairly standard dunkel, but with just the slightest hint of smoked sausage in there. It wasn’t a terribly assertive beer at all, very mild overall.

The only "slight" smokiness I can enjoy in a beer is a good stout. Toasting the malted barley does impart a slightly smoky aftertaste.
Ah interesting... I had assumed that the beer would be smoky from just that: the toasting if the grain. If that is not how the smokiness is obtained (and if it tastes like smoked sausage) then I don't think I would like it at all!

Ah interesting... I had assumed that the beer would be smoky from just that: the toasting if the grain. If that is not how the smokiness is obtained (and if it tastes like smoked sausage) then I don't think I would like it at all!
According to their website, the grains are dried over a beechwood fire.

Back
Top Bottom