Recipe BBQ Sauce

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
9:54 PM
( This recipe is a modification of Ferran Adriá's recipe, used in the famous, but now closed restaurant, El Bulli)
Ingredients:
1 large red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tsps powdered ginger
2 medium oranges, juiced
Splash of oil
70 gms (about 1/3 cup) dark brown sugar
30 gms ( about 2 Tbsps) honey
30 gms (about 2 Tbsps) molasses or treacle
40 mls (1/6 cup) cider vinegar or malt vinegar
1 small tin ( about 300 gms) tomatoes
200 gms (1 cup) tomato ketchup
1 Tbsp your favourite mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
  • Heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook gently until the onion begins to brown
  • Now add ALL the other ingredients except the ketchup, bring to a boil and then lower the heat to medium low. Cook for about 30 minutes until the tomatoes begin to fall apart. The liquid should have reduced by about 1/3rd and the sauce should have thickened a little.
  • Allow to cool for a while, then blend the sauce until very smooth.
  • Return to the pan, add the ketchup and continues cooking for another 10-15 minutes, or until you achieve the desired consistency.
  • The sauce will last months in the fridge.

( This recipe is a modification of Ferran Adriá's recipe, used in the famous, but now closed restaurant, El Bulli)
Ingredients:
1 large red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tsps powdered ginger
2 medium oranges, juiced
Splash of oil
70 gms (about 1/3 cup) dark brown sugar
30 gms ( about 2 Tbsps) honey
30 gms (about 2 Tbsps) molasses or treacle
40 mls (1/6 cup) cider vinegar or malt vinegar
1 small tin ( about 300 gms) tomatoes
200 gms (1 cup) tomato ketchup
1 Tbsp your favourite mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
  • Heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook gently until the onion begins to brown
  • Now add ALL the other ingredients except the ketchup, bring to a boil and then lower the heat to medium low. Cook for about 30 minutes until the tomatoes begin to fall apart. The liquid should have reduced by about 1/3rd and the sauce should have thickened a little.
  • Allow to cool for a while, then blend the sauce until very smooth.
  • Return to the pan, add the ketchup and continues cooking for another 10-15 minutes, or until you achieve the desired consistency.
  • The sauce will last months in the fridge.
That sounds delicious 😋

I’m slightly concerned by how much sugar, honey and molasses there is making it too sweet for me but I’m willing to give it a bash.
Might hold off a bit of the sugar until the final throws 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, since I don't do metric I really didn't factor in the measurements, just like the sound of the listed ingredients. We all (well most) tend to make our own spins on whatever we are making anyway.

Yeah, since I don't do metric I really didn't factor in the measurements, just like the sound of the listed ingredients. We all (well most) tend to make our own spins on whatever we are making anyway.
It’s not a lot of sugar compared to a lot of recipe’s, especially when you take into account the tin tomatoes that would water down the sweetness but I think with the tomato ketchup as well I’d hang fire on some of the initial sugar anyway.

Then again an El Bulli chef might know what he\she is doing.. maybe 🤔 😝

It’s not a lot of sugar compared to a lot of recipe’s, especially when you take into account the tin tomatoes that would water down the sweetness but I think with the tomato ketchup as well I’d hang fire on some of the initial sugar anyway.

Then again an El Bulli chef might know what he\she is doing.. maybe 🤔 😝
I gravitate towards no-sugar added tomato ketchup these days...

I looked at the sugar content as well and thought "that's sweet"
But I will try it one of these days, just lowering sugar till it agrees with my tastebuds.
I don't eat tomato ketchup though, so I may just use fresh tomatoes (and thereby changing the whole recipe)

...but I also added the amounts in cups and Tbsps.
I missed out on quarts, mind you :laugh: :laugh:
Yes indeed. I just scanned through and read the ingredients without even looking at measurements the first time. And like I said, I would end up tweaking it to my own tastes anyway (like most of us do).

t’s not a lot of sugar compared to a lot of recipe’s, especially when you take into account the tin tomatoes that would water down the sweetness but I think with the tomato ketchup as well I’d hang fire on some of the initial sugar anyway.
I just did a quick breakdown of the ingredients and compared it to what I use in my marmalades, jams, and especially, chutneys. Around 61% fruit/veg, 20% acidity ( and I included the vinegar, orange juice, lemon zest, mustard) and only 16% sugar (including, for argument's sake, 25% of the ketchup).

I looked at the sugar content as well and thought "that's sweet"
Well I haven't made it for 10 years, so I can't really comment on that; and every person has their own view of what is sweet or not.
Just for reference, a typical jam/marmalade will have between 70 - 100% sugar vs fruit.
A Pepper Jelly will probably have a whopping 150-200% sugar.
A chutney would be closer to 35-40% sugar and 15-20% acidity.
Ketjap Manis typically has around 60% sugar!
The proof of the pudding, as always, is in the tasting, and that is very personal.

fish sauce....
First time I ever used that stuff, I followed the recipe and was amazed at how it complemented the other ingredients. "Umami" is how it's described .
Second time I used it , I thought "mmm, I just love that umami, and I'm going to add more!" - which I did, and the whole dish tasted heavily of fish sauce :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
Odd, really, because I understand it's made of anchovies, and I can sit in a Spanish Tapas bar and eat anchovies all night long.
With ketjap manis, however, it's just a small amount I use; so maybe the sweetness gets swallowed up by the othe ingredients.

I just did a quick breakdown of the ingredients and compared it to what I use in my marmalades, jams, and especially, chutneys. Around 61% fruit/veg, 20% acidity ( and I included the vinegar, orange juice, lemon zest, mustard) and only 16% sugar (including, for argument's sake, 25% of the ketchup).

Well I haven't made it for 10 years, so I can't really comment on that; and every person has their own view of what is sweet or not.
Just for reference, a typical jam/marmalade will have between 70 - 100% sugar vs fruit.
A Pepper Jelly will probably have a whopping 150-200% sugar.
A chutney would be closer to 35-40% sugar and 15-20% acidity.
Ketjap Manis typically has around 60% sugar!
The proof of the pudding, as always, is in the tasting, and that is very personal.
Jam and chutneys are two things I often find too sweet but 16% isn’t a lot by any stretch.
It probably appears more than it is due to the number of sweet ingredients used rather than the overall quantity.

But I have all the ingredients here already apart from the oranges and Mr SSOAP will pick those up tomorrow so I’ll let you know!

It's worth a try and, since it's a sauce, you can easily add MORE acid/ veg later and just re-blend it. It's a question of trial and error for your palate, not anyone elses.
Curiously enough, I was flitting through my recipe books (I often "flit"on a Thursday - keeps the brain in trim :D ) and I found all the trials and tastings I did for Piccalilli, when I first made it in 2008. SIX attempts until I got it "right".

Back
Top Bottom