Best vegetables as meat replacement

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
4:31 AM
I am not a vegetarian, but I do eat a lot of vegetarian food. My mum, on the other hand, thinks that if a meal does not have meat in it, then it is only a side dish. I think that some vegetables give a vegetarian dish a 'meatier' consistency to them. For example, aubergines (eggplant), potatoes, squash and parsnips are all veg that give a meal a bit of substance, but things like carrots or cabbage are just something I would add to the side. Pulses are also a good replacement in my opinion. What would you say are good vegetables to give a meal the same substance as one with meat in?

To me eggplants are perfect as a replacement for meat! I'm a carnivore and like to eat meat at all meals, save when I'm having pasta or something that does not require meat. But last time I made eggplants with soy over it which imitated meat and it was delicious! I truly did not miss having meat with that, I only had rice and some salad with that and it was all I needed for a complete meal.

I agree with eggplant because of the texture, however many people find it hard to cook and it can get quite oily. I prefer mushrooms as they are easier to cook or roasted peppers are good sliced generously. It shouldn't be about substance, but the amount of protein you get in the food though. People have misconceptions about how food looks which is why they eat so badly. There are so many soya alternatives to use instead, so combine, them. Does it matter what your mother thinks, is she is eating it?

Many people are uneducated about vegetarianism, so a whole eggplant is high is calories and won't give you a complete protein eaten by itself. It may look good and be substantial but isn't.

<snip>
Many people are uneducated about vegetarianism, so a whole eggplant is high is calories and won't give you a complete protein eaten by itself. It may look good and be substantial but isn't.
An aubergine or eggplant typically only has 150 calories in it for a decent sized one.
It is high in potassium, dietary fibre, vitamin C, vitamin B6, magnesium and contains around 5g or 10% of your protein requirements. The problems of high fat and hence high calories only arise with cooking methods involved, it is actually a very low fat vegetable.

Peas, beans and lentils are all pulses that add protein to a diet. For interesting vegetables I would choose mushrooms and/or peppers, and I add onion to every dish.

Sweet potatoes, carrots, parnsips and other root vegetables are all very filling and satisfying in meals without meat.

You can use mushrooms as a good replacer. Also you can use zucchini, I like to make vegan crab cakes with zucchini. Chickpeas and other beans will give you the protein. Veggies can be very filling!

Back
Top Bottom