Recipe Black bean and sausage stuffed onion.

blades

Local time
1:28 PM
A little Latin, a little cajun and a lot of Onion!
onions.jpg

Ingredients

4 very large onions (wider than they are tall if possible)
1/2 can black beans
1/2 bell pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 or 3 mushrooms depending on size coarsely chopped
2 andouille sausages peeled and chopped
1 tsp vinegar
1/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese or other melting cheese of your choice
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Slice off the root side of the onions just enough to allow them to stand. Slice off the the tops. Put the onions in a stock pot, cover and boil them for about 15 minutes to soften them. Remove them from the pot. With a spoon dig out a well in the onions leaving 2 or 3 laminations that will be sides of the bowl.

Chop the onion you removed as well as the bell pepper and mushrooms. Mince the garlic. These ingredients represent the sofrito - the Spanish trilogy. Put the sofrito, sausage, mushroom and vinegar in a skillet, salt and pepper to taste and saute until the sausage is cooked and the peppers are soft. Add the beans, combine and cook for another minute or so to combine the flavors.

Spoon the mixture from the skillet to fill the wells you made in the onions and put them in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes. Cut and grate the cheese, pull out the onions, cover them with the cheese and bake until the cheese is melted - about 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve with whatever side dishes you choose. The diner just needs to halve the onion, cut it up and dig in. Feeds 4.

Last edited:
Hopefully. You are looking at what I made for dinner - arroz con frijoles negros. I kept enough to make the challenge recipe and I will use a simpler method for handling the black beans in the recipe. The dish you see pictured started with a package of dry turtle beans. I've been cooking it that way for 1/2 a century. Old habits die hard.

You gave me an idea for another entry.
Just gotta look for bacon and ground beef. Hope I have time

I like this recipe. I love ths idea of a stuffed onion. We are so used to chopping them, slicing them and friying them that we forget they can be cooked whole. Well not quite whole but filled with a lovely savoury stuffing. I would eat these as a meal in themselves. In fact they could be made vegan by adding more beans in place of sausage.

Tell me about the vinegar...

I like this recipe. I love ths idea of a stuffed onion. We are so used to chopping them, slicing them and friying them that we forget they can be cooked whole. Well not quite whole but filled with a lovely savoury stuffing. I would eat these as a meal in themselves. In fact they could be made vegan by adding more beans in place of sausage.

Tell me about the vinegar...
In my experience most savory dishes benefit from some acid-a little background sourness to get the attention of the taste buds. In this case I used Chinese vinegar but any acidic product would do the job. You could use wine, for instance, but 2 tsp wouldn't be enough.

Back
Top Bottom