Recipe Capressa Criolla ( Venezuelan style Capressa salad)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
11:44 PM
Ingredients:
1 large, ripe avocado
2 ripe tomatoes ( Heirloom tomatoes would be excellent when in season, like right now)
Fresh white cheese ( I used something called "Guayanés"for this; it's a soft, creamy , fresh cheese, slightly salty. you could use Mozzarella, Burrata or Mexican queso fresco)
Basil leaves
Salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil

Method:
  • Cut open the avocado, remove the pit and cut the avocado into large chunks or slices
  • Cut the tomatoes into fairly thick slices, put them on a plate, sprinkle with salt and leave them for about 5 minutes. This brings out the natural sweetness of the tomato.
  • Cut the cheese into slices, or chunks. If it's a Burrata, simply place it in the middle of the serving plate.
  • Arrange the avocado, tomatoes and cheese around the plate in a nice circle, placing a whole basil leaf on top of each tomato slice.
  • Sprinkle with a little more salt, a few grinds of black pepper and then drizzle with olive oil. Done!
    Capressa Criolla 001.JPG

I like simple! But simple has to have flavours that work. This is a classic combination of ingredients which definitely work together. I would be tempted to drizzle with a dark sticky balsamic reduction just to complicate things.

I would be tempted to drizzle with a dark sticky balsamic reduction just to complicate things.
You're welcome! However, I find the balsamic reduction is too imposing. I just like to taste avocado, cheese, tomato and basil.
I say that because my wife loves to drizzle balsamic over everything. Don't get me wrong; I like the stuff, but not here.

You're welcome! However, I find the balsamic reduction is too imposing. I just like to taste avocado, cheese, tomato and basil.
I say that because my wife loves to drizzle balsamic over everything. Don't get me wrong; I like the stuff, but not here.

Fair enough. I can appreciate the uncluttered taste of creamy avocado, subtley sour cheese, acidic tomato and basil. Each have an underlying sweetness.

I'm thinking id change it a little using queso fresco and cilantro (instead of basil) with a touch of lime.

I'm thinking id change it a little
I looked back at your suggestion today and it reminded me of a clip from The Breakfast Show with Gino.
Gino is a great chef, but fiercely Italian. He's a "gate keeper" ie. absolutely NO modifications to sacred recipes.
I'm not bothered, although occasionally I wonder whether people just use a name to promote their dish, rather than the original. Carpaccio comes to mind - a simple dish with raw beef and a special mayo. These days you'll probably get the Carpaccio with parmesan, rocket, sliced mushrooms and a balsamic glaze - which may taste just great - but is it a carpaccio?

I looked back at your suggestion today and it reminded me of a clip from The Breakfast Show with Gino.
Gino is a great chef, but fiercely Italian. He's a "gate keeper" ie. absolutely NO modifications to sacred recipes.
I'm not bothered, although occasionally I wonder whether people just use a name to promote their dish, rather than the original. Carpaccio comes to mind - a simple dish with raw beef and a special mayo. These days you'll probably get the Carpaccio with parmesan, rocket, sliced mushrooms and a balsamic glaze - which may taste just great - but is it a carpaccio?
Yeah, I'm a fusion lover. I'd have no issues renaming the dish.

I enjoy Caprese salad, but I usually talk myself out of it because the tomatoes need to be just right. But, while this preparation does require ripe tomatoes, the avocado also pulls more than its weight. I'd go with the cilantro variant you mentioned on the recipe thread, so it stays entirely on this side of the Atlantic, but fresh basil would work beautifully.

I'd go with the cilantro variant you mentioned on the recipe thread, so it stays entirely on this side of the Atlantic, but fresh basil would work beautifully.

Cilantro (coriander here) is apparently the best selling herb in the UK. Also extensively used in Middle Eastern, European, North African, Asian and Indian cuisines to name but some.

I enjoy Caprese salad, but I usually talk myself out of it because the tomatoes need to be just right. But, while this preparation does require ripe tomatoes, the avocado also pulls more than its weight. I'd go with the cilantro variant you mentioned on the recipe thread, so it stays entirely on this side of the Atlantic, but fresh basil would work beautifully.
Try grape tomatoes. They are usually perfect upon purchasing and stay that way on the kitchen counter for a good while. Otherwise I often buy Roma/plum tomatoes and if they aren't ripe, after several days to a week of sitting on the kitchen counter they usually are perfect. I like those options because they aren't terribly juicy and have great flavor. I am not a fan of wet tomatoes! Bland pink ones are not great either.

I usually talk myself out of it because the tomatoes need to be just right
I agree with you. Imperfect tomatoes tend to kill the simplicity of the capressa, which is why I now slice them, then salt them and leave them for 10 minutes before serving. It seems to bring out the natural sweetness.

Back
Top Bottom