Recipe Cazuela de Pollo, Lentejas, y Chorizo ( Chicken, Lentil and Chorizo stew)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
8:31 AM
Ingredients:

150 gms (3/4 cup) brown lentils
500 gms chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
3 cured Spanish chorizo sausages, sliced in rounds and then halved
1 large onion, chopped
1 red or green pepper, diced
2 carrots, diced
7-8 cloves garlic
Olive oil
1 lt chicken stock
2 Tbsps tomato paste
1 1/2 tsps paprika
1 tsp ground pepper
salt to taste

Method:
  • Put the lentils in a bowl and cover with water. set aside.
  • In a large, heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil. When hot, toss in the chopped chorizo and cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Remove the chorizo with a slotted spoon, leaving the flavoured oil behind.
  • Now add the onions, peppers and carrots. cook for about 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
  • Add the garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
  • Drain the lentils, and add to the pot along with the stock, the tomato paste, the paprika and the ground pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, put a lid on the pan and cook on low heat for about 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are cooked. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if desired.
  • Now add the chicken and cook until it is tender, about 15 minutes.

• Cazuela 2.jpg
    Cazuela 3.jpg
    Cazuela 4.jpg
    Cazuela 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It didn't say so on the packet, but they were dried ( about the size of a banger). Smoked would work a treat.

It didn't say so on the packet, but they were dried ( about the size of a banger). Smoked would work a treat.
oh I asked because I hate smoked chorizo. I think I had too much of it back in the mid 90's when it got trendy. It overwhelms everything else in my opinion.

This is such a nice colourful recipe.

Last edited:
oh I asked because I hate smoked chorizo.
If you want to give it a try, I'd just used regular, cured slices of Spanish chorizo. The paprika they use (Spanish pimienta de la vera) is the flavour that should be there; but I'm a smoked fanatic, so anything vaguely smoky always ticks the box for me.

Back
Top Bottom