TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
7:57 PM
Chicken Corn Soup
Makes 4 hearty servings

Ingredients
1 whole roasted chicken (3-4 pounds, shop-bought rotisserie chicken is fine)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
3/8 tsp crushed saffron threads (yes, very precise, I know…just shoot for a little less than 1/2 tsp)
1 sprig fresh thyme
6 ounces egg noodles
Saltine crackers or good crusty bread, for serving

Directions
Starting with the cooled roasted chicken, remove the skin* and pull the meat from the bones. Be very thorough. Divide the pile of meat roughly in half and reserve half for another use (or make a double batch of soup).

Place the remaining half of the meat in a medium stockpot, then pour in the broth Tip in the corn and the rest of the ingredients, then bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a good simmer, then cook away, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, just to allow the broth to reduce a bit. Along the way, taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

Meanwhile, prepare the egg noodles according to the directions on the package. I like to boil my noodles separately in case there’s any soup left over. I don’t want the pasta to swell while spending the night in the fridge.

Once you’re ready to serve, into a nice soup bowl with some noodles, then some soup, mix a little, and enjoy with some saltine crackers or crusty bread.

Recipe loosely based on Roasted Chicken, Corn, and Saffron Soup from Saveur

The CookingBites recipe challenge: saffron

*Please eat the skin. Please. Don’t throw it out. If it needs re-crisped, spread it out on a baking sheet and pop it in a 400F oven for 5-10 minutes and enjoy a little treat while making the soup. You deserve it. You really do.

Awesome.
I found the part I looked for in the method, so it is ok to let the Saffron cook for 15 minutes, on lower?
Very nice!

This is a glorious celebration of saffron yellow. Saffron is indeed particularly good with chicken and the simplicity of this recipe allowa the saffron to shine.

Not a criticism but this looks more like a pasta chicken and corn dish than soup. Is it normally presented with more solid ingredients than liquid or is it just that the photos make it look that way?

this looks more like a pasta chicken and corn dish than soup. Is it normally presented with more solid ingredients than liquid or is it just that the photos make it look that way?
It’s probably just the way I ladled it up - it’s soup, so a person (as long as they’re in charge of the ladle) can choose to go heavier on the broth or heavier on the solid bits, whichever they prefer.

Morning Glory - here’s an additional pic to show more of the broth:

IMG_8941.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom