Recipe Chicken Noodle Soup

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
9:42 PM
Chicken:

I use two small, whole chickens. I baste them with melted butter and add seasoning. I place half of a lemon inside the chicken.

I cook them on the weber grill, charcoal only. I create a hot zone and a cool zone in the grill. The chicken never leaves the cool zone. I cook it indirect heat until the chicken hits 100 degrees. I rotate the chicken, and baste again with melted butter.

I cook the chicken until it reaches 160 degrees. Then I remove it from the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes.

It is amazing. The skin is crisp. The meat is juicy and flavorful. I use a vortex in the grill to help circulate the heat. Don't tent the chicken, and let it rest for 45 minutes while you are drinking. The skin will lose its texture.

After dinner we remove all of the chicken from the carcasses. We place the bones in a large crockpot. Cover the bones with water. We add peppercorns, garlic, dried thyme/rosemary, ect... Really whatever we have. I usually half an onion or two and throw in it. If I have any saved veggie ends (we freeze most stuff). I add them. Then we cook it on high for a couple of hours. Then on low for approx... 36 hours.

Strain it, then tweak as necessary. Sometimes it needs a little salt, pepper, ect.... Otherwise, it is ready to go.

Our chicken noodle soup is minimalistic. Celery, Carrots, and onions. Everything is lightly sautéed. I prefer this to cooking it in the broth. I also like a little texture with my veggies. It is easier to control when you sauté them. I season the veggies while they are being sautéed. Once cooked, add to the broth. Add cut up chicken. It is ready to go.

We do not put our noodles in the soup. It soaks up to much of the broth. We put the noodles in the bowl. Then we add broth to the bowl.

20240716_175243.jpg

Back
Top Bottom