Recipe Chocolate Cranberry Fudgy Cake

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
6:59 PM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
I first heard about this recipe on You Tube and had to look it up (it was on the side of the can of Ocean Spray® Whole Cranberry Sauce).

Chocolate Cranberry Fudgy Cake

serves 10-12

Ingredients

For the cake:

scant 1 C. Bitter-sweet Chocolate chips
1/2 C. unsalted Butter
1 C. Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
scant 1/2 C. granulated Sugar
2 large Eggs, beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 C. All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder

For the glaze:

1/4 C. Whipping Cream aka Heavy Cream
1/2 C. Bitter-sweet Chocolate Chips
1/4 C. Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce

Steps

Make the cake:

Preheat oven to 325ºF.
Line an 8-inch round cake pan with foil, pressing into down in and around the pan firmly; cut off excess and fold the edges under the pan lip.
Microwave the Chocolate chips and Butter in large microwave-safe bowl on High for 1 minute.
Stir until smooth. Microwave for 30 more seconds if necessary to melt Chocolate.
Add Cranberry sauce and Sugar; mix well.
Add Eggs and Vanilla; mix well.
In a small bowl, combine the Flour and Baking Powder with a whisk; mix well with the "wet ingredients".
Coat the foil in the pan with cooking spray (or some soft Butter will do).
Dust pan with some Flour, tap to remove excess. (I just used Baker's Joy spray instead)
Pour batter in prepared pan. The batter will be runny/lose/liquid-y, that's okay.
Bake for 40 minutes (I baked mine for about 50 minutes) or until a toothpick stuck in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Place your now baked cake on a wire rack to cool completely, still in the foil lined pan.
Refrigerate 1 hour or until well chilled.

Make the Glaze:

Microwave the Cream and Chocolate chips together in medium microwave-safe bowl in 30 seconds increments (don't let the cream boil) on high, stirring between; until smooth.
Crush the whole berries in the sauce with a fork and add to the melted Chocolate; mix well.
Turn cake out onto a rack; gently remove foil.
Turn the cake over so that the "baked" top is facing up and onto a serving plate.
Spread glaze over the top allowing some to drip down sides of cake.
Chill 1 hour or until glaze is firm.
Can be made a day ahead of time and stored at room temperature, covered.

This recipe was adapted from Oceanspraymocktails.com

IMG_4398.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG

I opened a 14 ounce can of Whole Cranberry Sauce and used the majority of it in this recipe.

Thank you kgrl. Is one 12 oz. bag of chips enough for the cake and glaze?

Morning Glory I don't really care for chocolate, but this was a good cake, not too sweet and not too tart either.
TastyReuben I look forward to your report card.

Gotta say, when I first read over the recipe I thought, what? This sounds like too much work for a dang single layer cake. But really it wasn't. I did it in stages over the course of the day. Figuring out how to line the pan with foil was first 💡 I turned the pan over and formed the tin foil around that, turned the pan right side up and the molded foil, fitting nicely thank you very much, that all I had next to do was firm it down and roll over the edge. DOH! I do have a college degree :laugh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom