Cooking with extra virgin olive oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterPixie

Local time
7:01 PM
I made spicy prawn spaghetti using supermarket bought EVOO. It was very tasty. I kept the gas flame very low while cooking. I read you're not meant to cook with EVOO, so should I be using normal olive oil for that dish?

It won't make a difference in terms of cooking methods. Its simply that extra virgin olive oil is more expensive than 'ordinary' olive oil and many people say you won't notice any difference in taste between the two if you use it in a dish like this. Its your choice really! Use it if you want to.

If you keep the flame low, what's the harm? It is pricier than some other oils so that's the only setback IMO.

The thread below is old but you might find it interesting to read:
Various oils for cooking

Would anyone here cook a simple tomato pasta dish using sunflower oil? I only use olive oil for that because I think olive oil is healthier and.. Well it's 'Italian' and I assume using sunflower oil in a tomato pasta dish wouldn't taste as good. I do add other things to my pasta sauce.
My Sauce is garlic onion tinned tomatoes, black pepper, chilli flakes, oregano and salt.

Last edited:
Would anyone here cook a simple tomato pasta dish using sunflower oil? I only the olive oil for that because I think olive oil is healthier and.. Well it's 'Italian' and I assume using sunflower oil in a tomato pasta dish wouldn't taste as good. I do add other things to my pasta sauce.
My Sauce is garlic onion tinned tomatoes, black pepper, chilli flakes, oregano and salt.

Its entirely up to you. You may notice a different taste with sunflower oil but not significantly. Try it and decide for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom