Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
9:47 PM
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
Makes 4-6 appetizer-sized servings

Ingredients
Salt
3 lbs chicken wings, split into drummettes and flats (tips discarded)
3 TB vegetable oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika

Directions
Set the oven to 450°F with a rack in the middle position.

Pour 4 quarts of water into a large stockpot, add 1 tablespoon of salt and bring to the boil. Add the chicken wings, bring it back to the boil, and boil them for 7 minutes, then drain the wings thoroughly in a colander.

Place the wings in a large mixing bow and, using plenty of paper towels, pat them as dry as possible - the drier, the better.

Pour the oil over the wings and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and all the remaining seasonings. Using your hands (or a rubber spatula if you must), toss everything until the wings are evenly and thoroughly coated.

Place the wings on a large sheet pan, evenly spaced, and bake for 15 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and use tongs to turn each wing over. Back into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until the wings are crispy all over. Don’t overbake, as this will begin to dry out the meat.

Remove the wings to a platter and serve with your preferred sauce on the side (which will keep the skin its crispiest), or toss the wings in your sauce if you prefer.

Recipe based on Crispy Baked Chicken Wings at OnceUponAChef.com

IMG_8289.jpeg

Going to try boil first method as suggested but not sure about adding so much oil. May add more spices to mine. I splashed out another £1 ($1.28) on 5 more chicken wings to try this!

I have a question. After I boil and dry the wings can I dredge them in my seasoned flour then bake them?

I think you could certainly try it, just be prepared to adjust the baking time - just keep an eye on them.
If you make it on charcoal, you will notice its unique taste
But it should not be fried too much because the skin will burn and the inside will remain raw
Of course, you are an experienced chef

Back
Top Bottom