Does anyone have a housekeeper?

Do you think that you may want a housekeeper?

• Total voters

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
1:49 PM
I'm seriously thinking abut getting one. The residents here can have one if they
want to or need to. I'm doing a serious cleaning of the apartment. :whistling:

Must admit I don't even understand what a homemaker is. A process? An object? A career? A service?
Very sorry, never ran into the word.

I'm seriously thinking abut getting one. The residents here can have one if they
want to or need to. I'm doing a serious cleaning of the apartment. :whistling:
I think you mean housekeeper?
Must admit I don't even understand what a homemaker is. A process? An object? A career? A service?
Very sorry, never ran into the word.
I am reasonably certain he means a cleaning person, which is usually known as housekeeper or cleaning service. I can't be sure if that's what he means, though.

Older generations referred to a woman who stayed home to keep the house and raise the kids as a homemaker. Now that could be man or woman, I suppose, though I think more often than not both genders tend to work these days.

It looks like he is editing to reflect the above.

Last edited:
Older generations referred to a woman who stayed home to keep the house and raise the kids as a homemaker
How interesting! Thank you! I hadn't heard of the term, but I suspected it would be this, although, like you, can't know for sure.

How interesting! Thank you! I hadn't heard of the term, but I suspected it would be this, although, like you, can't know for sure.
Well, no, I do know for sure that older generations call the person who stays at home to take care of the house the homemaker. But pretty sure that's not really what he meant.

So anyway, to answer that question, yes and no. I could probably use a housekeeper, but I have some trust issues that would likely keep me from having someone come in and clean. I know that these days many of them are required to have background checks and the majority of them may be honest, hardworking people, but there's a possibility there could be that one bad apple who sees my pretty gold bracelet and slips it in her pocket...and also, I can do it myself right now. There are times I let tasks go longer than they should, yes. When I get older I might change my viewpoint and hire someone to come in when it becomes physically difficult for me to do it myself.

Yes, I meant a housekeeper. But some DO pronounce them as a homemaker. And not only do women do it. Men do it also. I changed the title to housekeeper. :whistling:
There is still part of it reading as homemaker...most of it got edited and changed.

1725820717772.png

We do not, but I wouldn’t mind it if we did. Around us, more and more people are hiring part-time cleaning services to come in anywhere from twice a week to twice a month to keep things clean, or to do specific cleaning jobs the person living there doesn’t want to or can’t do.

Used to be, when I was a kid, only the very wealthy did that (my aunt had a live-in housekeeper/cook for her family, just like Alice on The Brady Bunch, and I was always fascinated by that, because I didn’t know what to make of it), but nowadays, it’s really not considered all that posh.

We do not, but I wouldn’t mind it if we did. Around us, more and more people are hiring part-time cleaning services to come in anywhere from twice a week to twice a month to keep things clean, or to do specific cleaning jobs the person living there doesn’t want to or can’t do.

Used to be, when I was a kid, only the very wealthy did that (my aunt had a live-in housekeeper/cook for her family, just like Alice on The Brady Bunch, and I was always fascinated by that, because I didn’t know what to make of it), but nowadays, it’s really not considered all that posh.
I think you might have a hard time with it since you are very particular about how things go and are organized. Also, I suspect you might be one of those who has to clean before the cleaning person comes :laugh:

I think you might have a hard time with it since you are very particular about how things go and are organized.
I would expect anyone we hired to be more organized than I am and put in place a better system than I have. I know where stuff is and I like it the way it is because I did it, but I’d defer to a professional.

Also, I suspect you might be one of those who has to clean before the cleaning person comes :laugh:
Yes!

I would expect anyone we hired to be more organized than I am and put in place a better system than I have. I know where stuff is and I like it the way it is because I did it, but I’d defer to a professional.

Yes!
Well, one can only hope that this is the case, but...

On this note, I had been seeing some TV ads for a service called "Homeaglow" where they claim you can get your house cleaned for $19. The person getting their home cleaned in the TV ad states that the cleaner did their laundry, dishes, etc. So like the old saying goes, "If it seems to good to be true"...I looked into it, and apparently they lock people into a paid membership that also will cost the person a good bit of money to get out of their contract. They get you coming and going with that one!
Is Homeaglow Legit? (Here's The Catch Behind $19)
Oh yeah, and the paid membership of $49 a month is just a membership fee. That doesn't include the cost of the housecleaning, which yeah, the first one is a 3-hour cleaning for $19 but it's an additional hourly rate after the first time--so when you factor in the additional $49 per month maybe not so great. Also the reviews state that they have poor customer service so if you have any issues with your cleaner it may not get addressed in a timely manner (or not at all). And they charge you $100-$250 to cancel your membership if it's done within the first 6 months? Also stated that the cleaners rate from poor to great with no consistency...hard pass.

Last edited:
At times I wish I had, but I can still do it, and if we split chores with daughter, it's fine.
Probably bigger houses would need it more, or people injured or seniors...

Once I did hire a cleaning lady and an ironing lady, several y ago when my back was in pain, but it was a few hours of cleaning and ironing,one day business ( half a day) and never hired again.

I was present the whole time. As was my kid. And our tiny flat got overcrowded in an instant😆😅, both ladies were working at the same time.

But if the deal and circumstances are good, absolutely. As Jas said, some trust issues, but if dealt with, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom