Dosas

I only tried to make dosas once, many years ago, with a recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's book "Eastern Vegetarian Cookery". the recipe was complicated and it took ages to ferment the ingredients. I seem to remember I never made the dosas because the mixture over-fermented!

I only tried to make dosas once, many years ago, with a recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's book "Eastern Vegetarian Cookery". the recipe was complicated and it took ages to ferment the ingredients. I seem to remember I never made the dosas because the mixture over-fermented!
I have that bòok and looked at that recipe not long ago. Its a very detailed book and the recipes are complicated. I got put off....

The recipe link I posted above seems easier.

Dosas is 1 thing I would never try at home after seeing them made in an Indian restaurant. They made them 18-20 inches across, way bigger than the plate they served them on. They stopped making them after the pandemic. It was a family place so I don't know if they lost the family member that made them or they were too costly to make, and I certainly wasn't going to ask in case it was a loss.

ETA: I just checked their web site and they are making dosas again. We need to drive over there for dinner soon. They were very close to a place I used to work, which is how I found them. We haven't been in quite a while.

Last edited:
I'm surprised, because Madhur Jaffray's recipes are normally quite accessible

Agree. The ones we have use ingredients readily accessible to all Americans years ago. The books are older. I actually substitute ghee and kashmiri chile powder plus other actual Indian ingredients instead of the anglicized ingredients she calls for. None of the recipes I've looked at are difficult. I'll have to look and see if there are dosas in the 2 books of hers we have.

I'm surprised, because Madhur Jaffray's recipes are normally quite accessible
Agreed - but this particular book is incredibly detailed. One might even say 'technical'. I get the feeling it was more of a research project than a recipe book. It has some hand drawn illustrations for some processes but no photos.

You seem to be fond of indian cuisine. I like most of it too but rarely make it. I should delve into a bit. I've been on a Chinese/Japanese kick lately but I could easily move West and give it a shot. Recommendations?

You seem to be fond of indian cuisine. I like most of it too but rarely make it. I should delve into a bit. I've been on a Chinese/Japanese kick lately but I could easily move West and give it a shot. Recommendations?

Recommendations for cookery books or specific recipes? Both karadekoolaid and I cook quite a lot of Indian food.

The latest Indian cookbook I bought was this one: 660 Indian curries
It's a huge book but covers absolutely everything. The author came to the USA from India, worked in restaurants for years, and then wrote this book. I've probably made a couple of dozen of these recipes so far and they've all turned out really, really well.

Back
Top Bottom