Recipe Dum Aloo (Potatoes with yoghurt and spices)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
8:17 AM
Ingredients:
5 medium potatoes.
125 mls oil for frying
6 green cardamoms
2 black cardamoms
2" piece of cinnamon
4 whole cloves
1" piece of fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp cayenne pepper *
1½ tsps fennel powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 tsps coriander powder
1-2 tsps salt
300 mls water
175 mls full fat yoghurt

* the original recipe called for 2 tbsps of Kashmiri chile powder

Method:
  • Scrub the potatoes and boil (skin on) for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cool, skin and prick all over with a fork until the potatoes are slightly spongy.
  • Heat the oil in a pan and add the potatoes. Fry very gently for about 45 minutes, with a lid on the pan, until the potatoes are golden brown all over, and soft inside . Turn frequently so the potatoes brown evenly. Set aside once cooked.
  • Remove all but 2-3 tbsps of the oil from the pan.
  • Add the cardamoms, the cinnamon stick, the cloves and the ginger to the oil. Stir for about 2 minutes.
  • Now add the powdered spices and the salt, plus 2 -3 tbsps water. Stir fry the spices for about 1 minute, then add the potatoes and the water.
  • Bring to a boil and then lower the heat ( to low!). Cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes.
  • Remove from the heat and, little by little, add the yoghurt, stirring furiously so the yoghurt is incorporated into the sauce.
  • Cook for about 10 more minutes, so the potatoes absorb the yoghurt/spice mixture.
Dum Aloo 4.jpg
Dum Aloo 3.jpg
Dum Aloo 5.jpg
Dum Aloo 2.jpg
Dum Aloo 1.jpg

Splitting yoghurt, coconut milk/cream etc is pretty much the norm in Asian cooking. It's not considered a "defect" at all.
Some recipes will actually tell you to cook till it has split :wink:

Splitting yoghurt, coconut milk/cream etc is pretty much the norm in Asian cooking. It's not considered a "defect" at all.
Some recipes will actually tell you to cook till it has split :wink:
I haven't come across this in relation to Indian cooking with yoghurt (which is often referred to as curd in Indian recipes). But there certainly are Indian recipes which tell you to cook the gravy until the oil splits (separates). That looks most appetising. Will try to find a photo.

Yes. When I wrote up the description here What did you cook or eat today (October 2024)? I mentioned that. I've made other dishes with yoghurt and they never split, but this one always seems to split. It's a mystery!

Usually it's because the heat is too high. You can mix a little cornflour into the yoghurt before adding. But even when I've done that I've had it split. I wonder why this dish in particular...?

No idea, but I'm going to ask my new friends at the Indian embassy. I'm sure one of the ladies will have the answer.
I'm also going to consult Mamta, who is a genius with Indian food Mamta.
She was on the BBC Foodie site many years ago, and we kept in touch.
Perhaps the next time, I'll put the yoghurt in at the very last minute and stir like crazy. The only thing with that is, it doesn't allow for the yoghurt to penetrate the potatoes as much.

No idea, but I'm going to ask my new friends at the Indian embassy. I'm sure one of the ladies will have the answer.
I'm also going to consult Mamta, who is a genius with Indian food Mamta.
She was on the BBC Foodie site many years ago, and we kept in touch.
Perhaps the next time, I'll put the yoghurt in at the very last minute and stir like crazy. The only thing with that is, it doesn't allow for the yoghurt to penetrate the potatoes as much.
I think it should be cooked very slowly on a low heat after stirring it in. Maybe the cooking liquor was too hot when you added the yoghurt? Also, I suppose it could depend on the type of yoghurt.

Fantastic if you have first hand contact with Indian cooks!

Thinking about this further, I remembered your recipe has no garlic or onions. I have seen dum aloo recipes which contain both. That isn't to say your recipe is wrong; there are many of versions of most Indian recipes. But I wonder if that is why the yoghurt doesn't emulsify. It's just a thought.

Correct; no garlic, no onions. The recipe is from Kashmir where, I suppose, there are a lot of strict Hindus. Garlic and onion are often shunned - which is why asafoetida is used. The strict Hindus believe that these ingredients excite the body and provoke passions, like anger or lust.
I think next time, I'm just going to add the yoghurt at the end.

Back
Top Bottom