Recipe Dutch Snert (Split Pea Soup)

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
6:46 PM
So I have a friend who I affectionately refer to as “my little Dutchie.” :giggle:
She introduced me to this little gem of a soup/stew that I couldn’t wait to make. This is a winter dish but you can of course devour it anytime. It’s very filling and there is little you really need as a side except perhaps bread or a salad.

IMG_9330.jpeg

INGREDIENTS
7 1/2 cups/1 3/4 lliters water
1 1/2 cups/300 grams peas (dried green split)
3 1/2 ounces/100 grams pork belly (Dutch speklapjes or thick-cut bacon)
1 pork chop
1 bouillon cube (vegetable)
2 ribs celery
2 Garlic Cloves
2 to 3 carrots (peeled and sliced)
1 large potato (peeled and cubed)
1 small onion (chopped)
1 small leek (sliced)
1 cup celeriac (cubed)
1 pound sausage (chopped rookworst smoked sausage or smoked soft metwurst or frankfurter/wiener sausages) (slice in half)
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Garnish: handful chopped celery leaf

METHOD
In a large soup pot , bring water, split peas, pork belly or bacon, pork chop, and bouillon cube to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, and skimming off any foam that rises to the top.

Remove the pork chop, debone, and thinly slice the meat. Set aside.

Add the celery, carrots, potato, onion, leek, and celeriac to the soup. Return to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook, uncovered, for another 30 minutes, adding a little extra water if the ingredients start to stick to the bottom of the pot.

Add the smoked sausage for the last 15 minutes of cooking time. When the vegetables are tender, remove the bacon and smoked sausage, slice thinly, and set aside.

If you prefer a smooth consistency, purée the soup with a stick blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the meat back to the soup, setting some slices of rookworst aside.

Serve in heated bowls or soup plates, garnished with slices of rookworst and chopped celery leaf.

Source

The combination of ingredients sounds very promising! Speklapjes is called here spek😃funny detail...possibly a common German word root...
Leek, potatoes and sausage is what I love making into a stew, this is a great enrichment! Thank you!

sounds really good - but methinks I'm gonna' need to reduce the qty -
~half gallon of liquid
+pork belly + pork chop + sausage . . .

urp!...!

Looks good!
And yes, it does freeze well.
Just be careful if you re-heat on the stove as it burns easily
(As an aside: I always add a little sambal oelek and ketjap to my pea soup (pounded chili pepper & sweet soy))

Back
Top Bottom