Recipe Falafel (Lebanese Chickpea Croquettes)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
1:55 PM
To be honest, I don't measure ingredients for falafel, so the ingredients list will be a bit vague on this. When I make them, I just take a packet of chickpeas, soak them, then guess how much of every other ingredient I'm going to add.
The good thing is, the cooked falafel will freeze perfectly, so you can eat them on another occasion
Tinned chickpeas will not work for this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 packet dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (do not cook!)
2 medium onions, roughly chopped
Handful of parsley, roughly chopped
8 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsps salt
1 tsp black pepper
oil for deep frying

Method:
  • Put all the ingredients into a food processor, or blender, in batches, and blend until you have a grainy paste. If the mixture won't blend, add a tiny amount of water. Taste the paste (it's not pleasant!) for salt and spice, then adjust if necessary.
  • Damp your hand in water. Take a piece of the paste, about the size of a small egg, and work it into a croquette shape. ( The Lebanese have a nifty little gadget for this). you can also use less of the paste and just make them into balls.View attachment 118646
  • Set the croquettes aside until you have used up all the paste.
  • Meanwhile, heat the oil in a deep pan or fryer. When the oil is hot ( you can test this by dropping a piece of bread into it; if the bread bubbles, the oil is hot). Gently slide in a few falafel, making sure the pan is not crowded.
  • Fry for about 6-8 minutes, turning the falafel occasionally, until golden brown.
  • Serve with chopped tomato and tahini, if you have some.

Falafel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom