Food Safety Standards where you are.

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
5:28 AM
Much to my horror I dropped a carton of eggs outside the front door of where we were staying.
I'd bought them to make mushroom omelette later, not sure how well that would have worked out 😆
IMG_2840.jpeg

These were on the same shelf as the uncooked eggs, they were only 1cent more than the uncooked ones!
They are not kept refrigerated 😮

In the same supermarket (and this is Spain's upper end supermarket) they also had these out for sale un-refrigerated.
IMG_2825.jpeg

Tuna baked in a pie and not chilled? There was also chicken and leek for sale.
That's unfathomable in the UK and yet they're not suffering from food poisoning 🤷‍♀️

Boiled eggs out of the fridge, who dares go over the 2hrs recommended?!

How long would you leave out a Tuna pie/pasty?

What foods are you advised to keep refrigerated that you think might not need to be?

Eggs are never refrigerated over here, either. Why would I want to refrigerate them? In the refrigerated sections of the supermarkets, you'll find meat, chicken, pork, fish and dairy products - that's about it.
The Tuna pies, well I'd have to wonder, but I don't know how the filling is, and that would make a difference, perhaps

Eggs are never refrigerated over here, either. Why would I want to refrigerate them? In the refrigerated sections of the supermarkets, you'll find meat, chicken, pork, fish and dairy products - that's about it.
The Tuna pies, well I'd have to wonder, but I don't know how the filling is, and that would make a difference, perhaps
Yer but boiled eggs? These are cooked not raw and stored with the other ambient foods.

I was shocked to read the Scottish govts advice for cooked eggs chilled is just two days?! Where do they get their figures from?!

Edit I know there's a whole thing about whether raw eggs are washed and fridged and I'm perfectly happy with eggs stored at ambient temps but cooked ones?

I leave them (hard boiled eggs) outside for hours without a problem, but not for days. But that's more because I prefer them cold than anything.
If I got too many eggs, I boil them and snack on them. And you read it correct, I prefer cold hard boiled eggs

Hard to know how long a boiled egg in its shell at room temp would be good for isn't it.

Defo going back to Mercadona supermarket and if they sell them I'll buy another box n see if there are storage instructions on them.

As for the the tuna pies maybe they have 'consume the same day' printed on them? I dunno cos I didn't look.

I remember being in Prague and seeing slices of pizza with meat toppings set out in a towel-lined wicker basket in the bakery section.

I have to say, they looked like they’d been there for quite a while (you know what day-old pizza looks like), but I figured locals (AFAIK) weren’t dropping over in the streets after eating them. 🤷‍♂️

I leave them (hard boiled eggs) outside for hours without a problem, but not for days. But that's more because I prefer them cold than anything.
If I got too many eggs, I boil them and snack on them. And you read it correct, I prefer cold hard boiled eggs
In the states that's how we eat hard boiled eggs in general--cold. The only time they might not be cold is if they are made into deviled eggs or potato salad and it's been sitting on the buffet table for an hour or more. Which is usually when I shy away, and it's not because of the eggs, it's because of the mayonnaise. This also is dependent on whether said buffet table is outside in scorching summer heat or inside the house/building.

Not a fan of buffets for exactly that reason....
Yes I was talking about parties though, not restaurants, just to clarify. Kind of hard to avoid at friends and family members homes or graduation parties at a rented pavilion, etc.

Strangely enough, I trust home-buffets more than restaurants.
Mind you, not all restaurants obviously, but the ones that are not busy and look like they will never get busy.

Strangely enough, I trust home-buffets more than restaurants.
Mind you, not all restaurants obviously, but the ones that are not busy and look like they will never get busy.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't go to restaurant buffets at all. The last time was probably 15 years ago. I don't remember seeing deviled eggs or potato salad on them. The parties I go to often will have deviled eggs or potato salad with both eggs and mayonnaise in them out on the buffet table--that concerns me when they are left out for a long time without refrigeration.

Yer but boiled eggs? These are cooked not raw and stored with the other ambient foods.

I was shocked to read the Scottish govts advice for cooked eggs chilled is just two days?! Where do they get their figures from?!

Edit I know there's a whole thing about whether raw eggs are washed and fridged and I'm perfectly happy with eggs stored at ambient temps but cooked ones?
Whenever we were on tour and went passed a private residence along eggs, we'd buy a dozen or so. What wasn't eaten that night, we'd hard boil and keep them handy for midnight snacks for the next day or so. .. no fridge, no issues despite some really hot temperatures through Scandinavia (around 36°C).

I understand what you are saying, but I don't go to restaurant buffets at all. The last time was probably 15 years ago. I don't remember seeing deviled eggs or potato salad on them. The parties I go to often will have deviled eggs or potato salad with both eggs and mayonnaise in them out on the buffet table--that concerns me when they are left out for a long time without refrigeration.
Surely it's made with pasteurised egg though?
Or do all pregnant peeps have to avoid mayonnaise?

Back
Top Bottom