Freezing fresh goods?

gaogier

Local time
2:24 PM
Hello

So, we normally get a large block of cheese, mostly mild cheeses like mild cheddar, young Gouda and Edam, however I have found that on occasion to have found mould on the cheeses, even though I cut them up smaller and vacuumed sealed. I am wondering, can those types of cheeses be frozen. Most answers from asking those in real life (people who either cook at the restaurant I was at, or friends and family) say no. I then bring up the cheese is frozen on frozen pizzas… so can I freeze them, some but not all?

I have about 1.5l of double cream about to be best before and I am not going to use 500ml not alone 1.5l, so I thought if I make whipped cream with it, could I freeze it, and get it out of the freezer a couple hours before needing it, and if I add chocolate could I make chocolate whipped cream (again to freeze)?

Thank you.

Hi - I freeze those types of cheeses all the time. I buy a couple of pounds of each one, break them down to half-pound amounts, and freeze them. I’m about to freeze some I just bought.

There are some softer cheeses that don’t freeze well, cheddars, Gouda, Edam, even Havarti and butter cheese, which is the softest of those, I freeze with no issues.

Martha explains it all:

Yes, You Can Freeze Extra Cheese—Here's How to Do It

I do vacuum-seal mine.

I freeze all cheese.
But...
I never eat cheese as is, gotta be melted on pizza or toasted sandwich.
It works for me
But if you like your cheese "raw", it may not. It crumbles after freezing

The only cheeses I freeze are Parmesan and mozzarella - not the fresh, buffalo stuff, but the blocks. The parm goes with the pasta (I'd say we probably never eat parmesan as it is) and the mozzarella goes on pizzas, gets used for melanzane alla parmigiana, etc.
I brought back a chunk of vintage cheddar from Ohio last month - July 17th. It's still there (well, not all of it) and it hasn't gone funky.We did once buy loads of camembert, and froze some of it. Nope, it didn't work for me. no flavour, and grainy.
Can't help with the cream, I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom