Fried Okra (not the way your thinking)

grumpyoldman

Local time
7:42 PM
later this afternoon we are going to have an old fashion southern (U.S ) supper with fried okra, turnip greens and pork chops
but the okra won't be fried the way most if not all of you are used to frying it ,
1st cover the bottom of a cast iron skillet with Vegtable oil , ( not that fancy Olive oil ) then add the okra and turn the heat to med high, what is going to happen is 1st the water is going to start cooking out of the okra
when it does ,strart stirring and keep stirring it till the end , the next thing to happen is its going to start frying ,( keep on stirring )
it will start changing color from green to brown to some black streaks , when you start seeing about 50% black now is the time to add a fair handful of corn meal strring it in and turn off the heat , let it sit for a couple minutes as it will keep cooking in the cast iron skillet , all thats left is to sprinkle on a little salt and enjoy

cooking it now ,photos coming soon ,
one thing i should say about cooking it this way, there is a very fine line between undercooked and over cooked , i like it just a bit undercooked (wetter) , the wife likes it a little more dry than i do , the difference can be from 1 minute to mere seconds

what it looks like , if its cooked right you can taste just a hint of sweetness

okra1.jpg

okra4.jpg

okra2.jpg

okra3.jpg

And that technique eliminates the "slimy" aspect of the okra, right? ( although I'll eat it any way you give it to me). Great idea!

I have family from deep south Alabama where they cook okra all of the time. I have never seen this method before. It looks amazing!

yes if its cooked like i described its not slimy at all
I have family from deep south Alabama where they cook okra all of the time. I have never seen this method before. It looks amazing!
i promise you it will taste better than any okra you have ever eaten before !! not slimy at all and have a slight sweet taste , just know there is a very fine line between under cooked and over cooked

Back
Top Bottom