Recipe Fusion Tandoori Chicken Massala

badjak

Über Member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
10:50 AM
A bit of a toss up if this should be in the chicken or stew thread...
It's my lazy way of making chicken tikka massala, but since I used chicken pieces with bone, it's tandoori massala this time

Ingredients (amounts are very flexible)

4 tbspTandoori spice (equal amounts by volume of paprika, cumin, coriander, chili and turmeric)
500 ml Yoghurt
1 kg Chicken pieces
1 kg Onion, thinly sliced
1 bulb Garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1 kg Tomatillo's cut in pieces or in half (tomato would be much closer to the original)

Marinate chicken pieces in yoghurt with tandoori spice for a couple of hours
Drain chicken and char over charcoal fire, no need to cook them through, as they will be finished in the oven. You can omit this step, but it is nicer

Put left over marinade in an oven tray. Add onions, tomatoes and garlic. Mix it all up.
Add the chicken pieces. They should be surrounded by the tomato/onion/yoghurt mixture
Check on the liquid, if not enough, add some more yoghurt or water.
Put in the oven for about an hour, occasionally checking.
Ready when onions are very soft, and chicken is done.
(at this point you could put the chicken aside and blend the sauce, then put chicken back)

Eat with rice

Sounds lovely. I think it's tandoori chicken rather than tikka. But it's all good stuff to me!

I note you used tomatillos. I think that a rather interesting addition. As I understand it (never had them) they have more of a sour flavour than tomatoes? How did you find them in this dish?

Yeah, it's tandoori as tikka is boneless chicken pieces.
I liked the tomatillos as I love most dishes a bit on the sour side.
I do this with tomatoes as well, but thenI tend to add lemon juice.
The dish does look better when made with tomatoes though

Back
Top Bottom