Recipe Ghormeh Sabzi

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
6:23 PM
I realised the other day that its been a minute since i cooked with some dried limes and this was the first dish I thought of. I love the taste these limes add to the dish along with some freshly squeezed juice. Very simple flavours in this dish yet filling and pretty healthy. This is an absolutely delicious Persian Beef Stew with Herbs and Dried Lime. The dried Limes really give this dish its signature flavour so definitely don’t skip out on those.

I like this served with some good Za’atar coated flatbread and a side of Harissa.

IMG_9328.jpeg

IMG_9329.jpeg

INGREDIENTS
59.1 ml plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ((divided))
1 onion, (finely diced)
3 garlic cloves, (pressed or minced (optional))
680 g stewing beef, (cut into 2-inch pieces)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 small leek, (trimmed and tops discarded, white part finely sliced)
454 g fresh parsley, (woody ends removed and finely chopped (about 4 bunches))
227 g cilantro, (woody ends removed and finely chopped (about 2 bunches))
2 tablespoons dried fenugreek leaves, (crushed with your hands or in a mortar and pestle)
5 scallions, (green parts only, finely diced)
2 (425 g) cans red kidney beans, (drained and rinsed)
4 dried limes, (poked several times with knife)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 limes, (juiced)

METHOD
Cook the onion: In a large pot on a medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When it starts to shimmer, add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, until it turns golden. This should take 5-8 minutes. Then add the garlic and stir well until it becomes fragrant, 1 minute or so.

Cook the beef: Add the beef to the pot and stir periodically until it it nice and browned, about 10 minutes. Add the turmeric and stir to coat, then add three cups of water or broth to cover the meat. Put a lid on your pot. While waiting for it to come to a boil proceed to your next step of frying the herbs.

Fry the herbs: Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. When shimmering, add the leek and stir until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the parsley, cilantro, fenugreek, and scallions and saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Stew the herbs: Once the herbs have wilted and started to reduce in volume, reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to stir for 15 minutes–You are essentially drying out the herbs which intensifies their flavour. They will turn dark Green when done.

Season and simmer: To the pot with the beef, add the fried herbs, kidney beans, dried limes, and two cups of water or broth. Turn up the heat to bring the stew to a simmer, then lower the heat to a nice simmer. Cook uncovered for approximately 2 hours.

Season and serve: Add salt, pepper and lime juice to taste. The stew should be thick with herbs but have a little bit of liquid to give it a nice curry like texture. Serve it with rice, breads etc.

I think I liked the pictures in the thread of What did you eat, or another, I do like the idea of long cooked meal like this one.
You mention dried limes...I totally hear you.
I ran into dry lime leaves, and am still fascinated by the aroma and flavour. Gorgeous.

Love this! And you reminded me how much I adore dried limes. By the way, if you can get fresh fenugreek leaves they are a game changer...
I was looking for fresh Fenugreek and haven’t found it yet so I’m on a mission to to do so now!

Its quite easy to grow in pots, I've found. You could try planting the seeds from your spice jar although they may be too old.
Good idea, I’ve been looking at solution to do that with herbs since I live in an apartment. Shouldn’t be too hard I’d imagine. Though I will say I found a couple good MIddle Easter stores over the weekend that carry it but only in dried form.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom