Gluten free puff pastry

Local time
3:24 PM
There are a lot of good reviews for ‘Jus Roll’ gluten free puff pastry and I’ve tried it a few times with limited success. It just doesn’t puff well.
I’m quite confused about the conflicting information on how to cook it.
My general understanding of puff pastry is it’s better to go in to the oven cold as this increases the ‘puff’ but I don’t know because I’ve been a coeliac for about 30 years so any memory I have of cooking with it is vague.
Then there’s the other school that says cooking it from room temperature is best 🤷‍♀️

Just Roll’s own instructions aren’t clear either with it first saying allow to temper to room temperature and then also saying take out of fridge for 10 mins before working and use quickly after.

What are your puff pastry experiences? Doesn’t need to be gluten free. I’m trying to gauge whether I’m needing the thermal shock of cold pastry in a hot oven or if the pastry needs to be room temp?

IMG_2604.jpeg

My very limited experience with puff pastry (store-bought, mainly) is that it needs to be on the colder side of room temperature. You need to be able to work with it, but too warm and it gets rather…melty, I suppose.

I usually have everything ready to go, then get it out, let it thaw just enough to be workable, get it filled or whatever you’re doing with it, then back in the fridge for a bit to firm back up. Something like palmiers, that’ll get sliced, I’ll pop those in for 30 minutes, slice, then back in again, if they’re feeling mushy at all.

But that’s just me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I make my own puff pastry sometimes but no experience with the gluten free. Needs to be fairly cool but I don't cook it straight from the fridge. So long as the fat isn't beginning to melt it should be fine.

Last edited:
I've worked with a bloke who makes his own puff pastry for a local golf club. It takes 3 days to make.
When he told me that, I decided I'd just buy it from the supermarket.
I use it cold, and as others have said, it's more malleable like that. Never tried gluten free, mind you, so I think that's going to be a question of trial and error.
Here comes take 12,001...

I've worked with a bloke who makes his own puff pastry for a local golf club. It takes 3 days to make.
I use it cold, and as others have said, it's more malleable like that. Never tried gluten free, mind you, so I think that's going to be a question of trial and error.
Rough puff pastry I can see is worth making, puff pastry nope even if I could eat real wheat flour I wouldn’t bother!

That isn't true in my experience. I make it and it can be done in an afternoon. Same with croissants which are yeasted puff pastry although you may wish to prove the dough overnight. People think it's time consuming but in reality the hands on element is no more than 40 minutes (if that). The remainder if the time it minds it's own business in the fridge and you can relax.

In a hotter climate there may be more time, chilling. But even so, it shouldn't take 3 days.

Last edited:
I don't have a recipe on the forum for puff pastry. But I make it more or less the same way as Mary Berry. And who can argue with Mary Berry!

Regarding whether to bake it straight from the fridge, her recipe state to chill the puff pastry for an hour before rolling out and shaping. But then it goes straight in the oven at 200C. I tend to cook mine at 180C ( fan)
The problem of course is that gluten free flour is very different from wheat flour. But I'd think the baking would be the same.

That isn't true in my experience. I make it and it can be done in an afternoon.
Well I'm not going to argue with that after seeing your photo - magnificent!
It may have to do with climate - who knows? - but I will say I've eaten millefeuille in France, in Belgium, in England, in the USA - and Miguel's millefeuille is just absolutely the best ever.

Well I'm not going to argue with that after seeing your photo - magnificent!
It may have to do with climate - who knows? - but I will say I've eaten millefeuille in France, in Belgium, in England, in the USA - and Miguel's millefeuille is just absolutely the best ever.
He must be doing something extra for it to take three days. I'm quite curious as to what that is.
Don't suppose next time you speak to him you could ask?

Back
Top Bottom