Recipe Harissa chicken and couscous

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:06 AM
One of my favourite ways to cook chicken breast is ‘en papillote'. This method keeps the chicken moist and locks in flavour. It turns out to be a lovely way to cook couscous (after soaking) too and in some ways, resembles the traditional method of using a ‘couscoussier’ which steams the couscous above the meat or vegetable stew with which it will be served.

fullsizeoutput_860f.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 tbsp rose harissa
2 tbsp honey
Juice of half a lime
1 pickled lemon (finely chopped)
½ tsp salt
90g couscous
120ml chicken stock
6 pitted black olives (sliced in half)
6 pitted green olives (sliced in half)
3 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1 thumb of ginger, thinly sliced
4 thin slices of lemon
Butter
To serve:
Mint leaves
Harissa mixed with a little chicken stock
Plain yoghurt

Method
  1. Mix together the rose harissa, honey and lime juice and salt. Coat the chicken breasts with the mixture, and marinate them in a covered container overnight.
  2. Heat the oven to 180C.
  3. Place the couscous in a bowl and add the hot chicken stock. Cover and leave for 10 minutes until all the stock is absorbed. Fluff up with a fork and mix in the chopped pickled lemon.
  4. Make one large ‘papillote' or two individual ‘papillotes’ from foil or from baking paper. I used foil with a baking paper lining the base.
  5. Place the couscous on the base of the papillote with the chicken (plus any remaining marinade) on top. Arrange the olives, garlic, ginger and lemon slices on and around the chicken and couscous. Add several large knobs of butter over the couscous.
  6. Seal the papillote to ensure no steam can escape and cook for 30 minutes.
  7. Open the papillote and (if you wish) use a culinary blow torch to char the top of the chicken.
  8. Scatter torn mint leaves over the top and serve accompanied by harissa and plain yoghurt.

fullsizeoutput_8610.jpeg

Love the idea of this! I'm going to have to order some rose harissa or find a recipe, plus get some preserved lemons started.

Back
Top Bottom