Recipe Huevos en Salsa de Asafran - Mediterranean style Saffron Eggs

blades

Local time
8:07 PM
huevosenasafran.jpg

Saffron is a rare and expensive spice but a tiny bit of it can transform a dish. There are about 600 saffron threads in a gram. The yellow colored rice you might get in a Latino restaurant gets its color and flavor from Saffron. Here we have used the spice in a sauce to accompany hard boiled eggs. I apologize for the photo. I was in a hurry to serve and the eggs themselves are covered by the sauce. Does this make a great breakfast? You bet. A side or main dish for dinner? Why not? We had it for dinner.

Ingredients - Eggs

4 hard boiled eggs peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
1 egg for egg wash
Enough flour, egg wash and Italian bread crumbs each in its own bowl

Ingredients - Sauce

1/2 onion chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped or smashed
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cucumber unpeeled and grated
1/4 cup veggie or chicken stock
1 heaping Tsp flour
1/2 tsp dill
1 pinch of saffron threads
A couple of tbsp or so of cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

The first task is to dredge the egg halves first in flour, then egg wash and finally in the bread crumbs. Heat a large skillet with cooking oil and saute the dredged eggs briefly just to cook the bread crumbs a little. Half a minute per side should suffice. Put the sauteed egg halves on a paper towel. Saffron releases its color and flavor in water, not oil, so put the saffron to steep in a very small amount of water, just enough to soak the threads.

Using the same skillet and oil saute the onions and garlic just until onions are translucent. Add all the remaining ingredients except for the saffron and cook until the sauce has thickened to your liking. Add the saffron and cook for a few more minutes until the sauce takes on the yellow color. Make a bed of sauce in a bowl or plate add the egg halves and cover them with more sauce. Ready to serve. Feeds two.

What an unusual recipe! I adore eggs and I really thought I'd researched every possible egg dish. Yet I've never come across this one. I will most definitely make this. The saffron really takes centre stage here. The sauce itself is unusual, as it uses grated cucumber in a cooked sauce.

Its an intriguing vegetarian recipe.

Last edited:
What an unusual recipe! I adore eggs and I really thought I'd researched every possible egg dish. Yet I've never come across this one. I will most definitely make this. The saffron really takes centre stage here. The sauce itself is unusual, as it uses grated cucumber in a cooked sauce.

Its an intriguing vegetarian recipe.

I agree...this is a very interesting combination of ingredients and techniques. But, it's simple enough that I can (and will) make it myself with ingredients I already have. Thank you for posting this!

Back
Top Bottom