Hybrid Cookware

blades

Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
1:13 PM
I decided I needed a third skillet and I wanted a 10". The company that makes my lovely granite stone gear doesn't have a 10". So with the rise in popularity I went looking for a hybrid pan. Hybrid pans are stainless steel. The manufacturer laser etches a design, coats the interior (sometimes the exterior as well) with a non stick coating, then grinds it down to the steel leaving the non stick coating in the depressions made by the etching. The idea is to get the performance of steel and non stick in the same pan. The techonology was pioneered by Hexclad that makes their high end products in California.

The 10" Hexclad pan was $150 on Amazon and I quit buying expensive pans when I learned that I could have the same or better performance from Chinese made equipment so I bought this Chinese made hybrid pan for $36.

hybrid pan.jpg

Does it work as well as Hexclad? I have no idea. So I will comment just on the pan that I have. The instructions said to wash and dry the pan, warm it up on the stove and then wash it again. I decided to go beyond that and season the pan with oil after it warmed up. I was a little disconcerted that the paper towel turned a little black when I rubbed the oil over the surface of the pan. But all is well. After the third seasoning it became as clean as a whistle.

One thing I liked about it is that the handle isn't riveted to the pan like the All Clad. Instead the handle fits over a pair of studs and two nuts fasten the handle to the side of the pan. The package even included a little wrench to do the job. I never liked dealing with the head of the rivets when washing the pans on All clad and other products. My granite stone cookware has a similar non-rivet system.

Is it non stick? It sure is, at least for now. I generally use a little oil even on non stick pans (habits never seem to disappear.) I fried an egg with a little oil and it slid around with ease in the pan as it cooked. I wiped the pan clean and then fried another one. Non stick again. Not quite as non stick as my granite stone pans but pretty close. The egg didn't slide around but it was easy to turn and pick up with a spatula. So I consider this a good value for the money. Clean up is a breeze like with any non stick product. Would I recommend it? For $36 yes, understanding that a few days of use may not tell the complete tale.

I'll let you know if any problems arise. If you want one go here.

Last edited:
150?
Eish
I'll stick with my tefal non stick for 8 when I need non stick and cast iron or stainless for anything else.
Woodfire definitely cast iron
Dry roasting peanuts on gas stainless
All else depends on whats clean :)

Interesting developments though

150?
Eish
I'll stick with my tefal non stick for 8 when I need non stick and cast iron or stainless for anything else.
Woodfire definitely cast iron
Dry roasting peanuts on gas stainless
All else depends on whats clean :)

Interesting developments though

The pan pictured above that I bought was only $36.

My preference is for granite stone. But there is some benefit to steel pans. They sear better and transfer heat better for faster cooking. And they are indestructible like your cast iron. The hybrid pan I have does provide some non stick properties that are not as free of sticking as granite stone but much better than regular steel.

I donated all my All Clad steel pans to a charity store and I don't regret it. The granite stone is outstanding and even better lately with ultra smooth coatings. This hybrid pan is a good compromise with decent non stick and all the benefits of steel pans. I assume they will only get better.

Back
Top Bottom