Recipe Lebanese Tabbouleh (cracked wheat, parsley and tomato salad)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
9:38 AM
Ingredients:
2 medium tomatoes, de-seeded and diced
100 gms (1/2 cup) bulghur wheat/cracked wheat #3 *
Bunch of parsley (preferably flat-leaf), chopped.
1-2 tbsps diced red onion or spring (green) onion
2 tbsps fresh mint, chopped, or 2 tsps dried
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
* There are several grades of cracked wheat, with #1 being the finest. It's best to use #3 simply because it's a bit more substantial.

Method:

• Soak the cracked wheat in a bowl of water for about 30 minutes. It will absorb the water and swell. Then pour the contents of the bowl into a sieve and press down on the (hydrated) wheat to remove the excess water.
  • Place the tomatoes, wheat and all the other ingredients into a large bowl and mix well together. Taste. You should detect the the soft wheat, the slightly soft tomatoes and the crunch of the parsley, mint and onion. You need to make sure there's a balance between the tomatoes, herbs, the sharpness of the onion and the saltiness. adjust if necessary.
  • Allow to rest for 30 minutes before serving, to develop the flavours
    Tabboulhe.jpg

Last edited:
I have added all these recipes to my Copy Me That app. Thank you.

I love tabbouleh. It does involve a lot of chopping though. I think maybe you accidentally failed to say that in the method...

I love tabbouleh. It does involve a lot of chopping though.
Chopping is part of cooking. I don't find it a chore. I use my chef's knife and, in less than 5 minutes, everything is chopped. Chiffonade for the parsley and mint, a few deft strokes for the tomato.
Mind you, I'm pretty much used to it, because if I have an event for 10,20, 50 or 70 people (like today) it's just part and parcel of the prep. Practise, and it's no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom