Limes

badjak

Über Member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
7:47 PM
I got given a big bag of limes a while ago.
I used some and threw the remainder in the freezer.
I still got some and needed to make space, so I defrosted them and queezed out the juice.
Now I am wondering if there is anything nice I can do with the peel.
I was actually trying to zest them, but that wasn't very successfull. The peel is very thin.
I'm not very sensitive to bitter so I was thinking of maybe drying them and using the peel later (I can not seperate white from the peel)
Would that work?
Or any other ideas?

The first thing that comes to mind, actually two things, are: tea and sugarcoating.
Haven't tried either yet, but imagine it would be great with other herbs, flowers you might have...and sugarcoating as in candied fruit. I believe orange peel is great for that, so why not lime peel?
Remember Christmas Stollen cake?
I reckon some candied fruit/peel is in, and I personally love it.

Edited to add no 3 and 4:
Sun drying and using in soups and stews perhaps?
Adding to pickles for bitterness?

Got 1st plan on the way:
Marinating a pork chop with fresh lime peel, coriander seed, garlic & chili.

I'm leaning towards drying and/or lime pickle.

Not a fan of sweet but thinking that marmelade might work, although there's no juice

I'm not very sensitive to bitter so I was thinking of maybe drying them and using the peel later (I can not seperate white from the peel)
Would that work?

Oh yes! Here are some I have:

1722709087777.png

Used in this recipe: Recipe - Kaffir Lime Rice & Egg Salad

Well that’s a coincidence, I literally just had to look up what Hing was as it’s in a Thai Green Curry recipe I fancy!

Sorry I can’t contribute anything to the lime idea’s, I could only think of drying them and that’s already been said 😂

Hing in Thai curry?
Thats a bit strange....
I can see it work because on the taste, but I've not yet seen it in any recipe

Hing in Thai curry?
Thats a bit strange....
I can see it work because on the taste, but I've not yet seen it in any recipe
Thats what I thought but it’s suggested as a sort of replacement for garlic for folk who struggle with garlic but need the extra dimension, it seemed unusual but I don’t see why not 🤷‍♀️
Can’t find that recipe to link it though soz.

I also stumbled across a Thai curry recipe that uses two tablespoons of tahini in the mix (and it is definitely a mix of ingredients) but it has 395 reviews giving it 4 1/2 stars so this is the one I going with.
No limes, but I’m sure you could stick some in there?! 😂

Summer Coconut Chickpea Curry with Rice and Fried Halloumi.

Recipe sounds good, but I would say it's more Indian inspired than Thai :)
(Chickpeas and/or cheese are not used in Thai cooking. India uses a lot of pulses and paneer)

Nothing wrong with fusion in my book, as long as it is tasty 😋

Recipe sounds good, but I would say it's more Indian inspired than Thai :)
(Chickpeas and/or cheese are not used in Thai cooking. India uses a lot of pulses and paneer)

Nothing wrong with fusion in my book, as long as it is tasty 😋
Yer my thoughts exactly, tis a proper mash up!
But I made it for lunch with some honeyed pork belly slices and I have to say it was better before the tahini went in, it went from light and aromatic to a bit cloying and maybe slightly bitter.
I also would have preferred lime to lemon so I’ll take a couple of things away from it and maybe add them into my standard Thai Green Curry which is..well.. more Thai! 😆

So today I made the lime pickle and used all the peels, which was not really my original intention.
The recipe is quite unclear on amounts (nor for the pickle masala, but for everything else).
I made notes. We'll wait and see.
Recipe says to put the pickle in the sun for 7 days or so. I'm not sure why, but I'll give it a try. I hope it works with my temperatures. Luckily we are not in summer....
IMG_20240813_165823_462.jpg

Recipe says to put the pickle in the sun for 7 days or so. I'm not sure why,
I make Rajasthani lime pickle, Punjabi lime pickle and sweet lime pickle. Sticking it in the sun just helps it to mature and ensure the spices mix in with the lime peel/juices. It'll be fine

Definitely, you'll know more than you know now.
So no liquid is required?
There is lime juice/vinegar in the recipe, but it doesn't say how much.
And oil.
But there is nothing about the amount of limes.
I'll let it go for a bit as the salt should draw out moisture. If it doesn't look good by tomorrow afternoon, I'll add some vinegar and/or hot oil

Back
Top Bottom