Recipe Loaded Onion Soup

blades

Local time
11:28 AM
This recipe brings three main ingredients (onions, potatoes and cream) together with a finishing nod toward the traditional French onion soup with its cheesy croutons. It was made with ingredients all of which were in the pantry and served with our dinner.

onion-soup.jpg

Ingredients

1 large yellow onion - sliced
4 cloves garlic - minced
1 stick butter
3 tbsp cooking oil
3 yellow or red potatoes - peeled and diced
5 cups chicken stock or other stock of your choice
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 or two toasted slices of ciabatta baguette or other bread of your choice
Handful of Gruyere cheese - grated

Instructions

Put onions in a stock pot with the garlic, 1/2 stick of butter and cooking oil and cook gently until the onion is caramelized. Add the other ingredients except for the bread and cheese. Cook until the potatoes are soft. Remove the bay leaves. With an immersion blender, puree the soup. Ladle soup into bowls, float the baguette croutons on top and cover with the grated cheese. Put them under a preheated broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Now you can serve a cream of potato and onion soup that is finished like a French onion soup. Feeds 4.

Last edited:
This recipe brings three main ingredients (onions, potatoes and cream) together with a finishing nod toward the traditional French onion soup with its cheesy croutons. It was made with ingredients all of which were in the pantry and served with our dinner.

View attachment 118782

Ingredients

1 large yellow onion - sliced
4 cloves garlic - minced
1 stick butter
3 tbsp cooking oil
3 yellow or red potatoes - peeled and diced
5 cups chicken stock or other stock of your choice
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 or two toasted slices of ciabatta baguette or other bread of your choice
Handful of Gruyere cheese - grated

Instructions

Put onions in a stock pot with the garlic, 1/2 stick of butter and cooking oil and cook gently until the onion is caramelized. Add the other ingredients except for the bread and cheese. Cook until the potatoes are soft. Remove the bay leaves. With an immersion blender, puree the soup. Ladle soup into bowls, float the baguette croutons on top and cover with the grated cheese. Put them under a preheated broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Now you can serve a cream of potato and onion soup that is finished like a French onion soup.
Oh yes, I’d like a large soup bowls worth please.

Well this is certainly loaded! Not sure how many this serves* but it is so laden with butter and cream that I am feeling full just reading the recipe. As a 'skinny eating' Brit this recipe scares me. But of course I know that it has a lot of appeal. Pure comfort food, I think. Well maybe not 'pure' exactly. :laugh:

Where did the other half stick of butter come into it? Or am I misreading?

*note to all recipe writers. It's a good idea to state approximately how many a recipe serves.

Well this is certainly loaded! Not sure how many this serves* but it is so laden with butter and cream that I am feeling full just reading the recipe. As a 'skinny eating' Brit this recipe scares me. But of course I know that it has a lot of appeal. Pure comfort food, I think. Well maybe not 'pure' exactly. :laugh:

*note to all recipe writers. It's a good idea to state approximately how many a recipe serves.
Yeah I'd think 1/2 stick of butter would be plenty. Maybe some of the cream could be replaced with extra chicken broth? I'd bet it serves 4-6 as a starter soup. It does sound rich, but yummy!

And you know me, I'd throw some cooked crabmeat in it and probably add chopped spinach (both near the end), too.

I’d be happy with that amount of butter blended in.
I’m with that American French chef bloke whose name escapes me at the moment who reckons everything is better with more butter.
I wanna say Jacques something.. maybe Pepin or Peppin or maybe even Peppan?!
Just wait until TastyReuben sees that post! :laugh: :eek:

But I thought that was Julia Child and Paula Deen!

I’d be happy with that amount of butter blended in.
I’m with that American French chef bloke whose name escapes me at the moment who reckons everything is better with more butter.
I wanna say Jacques something.. maybe Pepin or Pippin or maybe even Peppan?!
Yes, Jacques Pepin…and you have to say it like he does, “buuuhdur,” caressing it with your lips on the way out, spoken like the name of an illicit lover…

Just wait until TastyReuben sees that post! :laugh: :eek:

But I thought that was Julia Child and Paula Deen!
Paula Deen is definitely the Queen of Butter, but she’s so crass with it. JP knows how to treat his buuuuuuhdur: “I have my pan on, oh, maybe medium heat, it really doesn’t matter, and I have, oh, maybe a tablespoon…tablespoon and a half of buuuuuhdur in there…” - as he adds about six tablespoons. ❤️

You dip it in the soup like a breadstick. :wink:
Actually half of it was to caramelize the onions. The other half was thrown in with the "remaining ingredients." I hope butter isn't a banned substance in cream soups. I didn't offer a low calorie soup, just a tasty one. Of course you can use more butter if you dare.

Yes, Jacques Pepin…and you have to say it like he does, “buuuhdur,” caressing it with your lips on the way out, spoken like the name of an illicit lover…

Paula Deen is definitely the Queen of Butter, but she’s so crass with it. JP knows how to treat his buuuuuuhdur: “I have my pan on, oh, maybe medium heat, it really doesn’t matter, and I have, oh, maybe a tablespoon…tablespoon and a half of buuuuuhdur in there…” - as he adds about six tablespoons. ❤️
I find him a very enjoyable watch.
It doesn’t hurt that after so many years of cooking when he explains something I often get to shout at the screen “YES yes that’s the way I do it and for those reasons”
Validation at last 😂 🤪

Actually half of it was to caramelize the onions. The other half was thrown in with the "remaining ingredients." I hope butter isn't a banned substance in cream soups. I didn't offer a low calorie soup, just a tasty one. Of course you can use more butter if you dare.
60 grams for the onions and 60 grams for the soup sounds positively restrained.
So long as you don’t add it up 😂

The other half of the stick of butter went into the pot with the "remaining ingredients." Not enough butter for you?

Back
Top Bottom