Methods for peeling garlic

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:28 PM
Mod.edit: This post a some following posts have been moved to start a new thread (MG)

Garlic, depending on what I’m doing with it, I’ll cut off the little root end (that’s helps release the peel), then give it a good smack with the side of my chef’s knife (another good use for a wider blade), and that’ll loosen the skin and the (slightly broken) clove will fall right out.
I have found that getting the garlic bulb wet and microwaving it for 20 seconds (or less depending on your microwave's power) allows the skin to peel right off. I also sometimes (often) semi-roast it with the same effect, and since I don't really like using raw garlic, this works out well for me. And your methods are good as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, one of those garlic presses? I don't like them and yeah they are a pain to clean. Last time I used mine I had broken my claw cracker when cracking some lobster or crab claws (can't remember which it was) and used the garlic press to break the crab shell! :laugh:

View attachment 119130

I did buy a manual vegetable chopper recently but it's still in the box! If I have just a small amount of onion, peppers, etc. to chop I just use a knife. I am cooking for two like you are, so...
I also have a garlic chopper, but I use the Oxo chopper. I hated peeling garlic, so I buy it already peeled. :whistling:

I have found that getting the garlic bulb wet and microwaving it for 20 seconds (or less depending on your microwave's power) allows the skin to peel right off. I also sometimes (often) semi-roast it with the same effect, and since I don't really like using raw garlic, this works out well for me. And your methods are good as well.
Yep it's a trick I use sometimes though I don't wet the bulb/clove of garlic

Most often I simply rub the cloves through a microplane with skin on. The peel stays on the microplane apart from a few miniscule bits which are completely edible.

Most often I simply rub the cloves through a microplane with skin on. The peel stays on the microplane apart from a few miniscule bits which are completely edible.

I use to put the cloves under the blade of the knife & smashy them with my fist. That works also, but now I just buy the cloves already peeled. To me, that saves more time than peeling them. :whistling:

I use to put the cloves under the blade of the knife & smashy them with my fist. That works also, but now I just buy the cloves already peeled. To me, that saves more time than peeling them. :whistling:
I have been doing that only I start with a lighter smack/push. Doesn't work. Most of the peel stubbornly stays on. So I push. Sticky garlic juice everywhere. Even then some peel stays stuck on garlic. Now my hands are sticky as all hell, I've got lots of little bits of garlic peel stuck, some peel still stuck to garlic. Nightmare.
That's for just 1 garlic clove. Now I've still got let's say another 4 to do.
I end up washing my hands about 10 times or more when cooking with soap. Use far too much soap and need 3 towels as they get soaked from all the hand drying. That's per meal I cook. Total nightmare.

WaterPixie this is not a nightmare, give it a try.

for garlic, I lop off the root end, then in lopping off the tip end . . . hold the skin and peel it back.
that takes off +/- half the skin - a solid smack-smash and the remaining skin is easily separated from the bulb contents itself.

once upon a time I had a garlic press. what a pain.
I can 'peel' / slice / dice / mince and smash garlic to a paste in 1-2 minutes.
paste not often required - so a fine dice/mince of 3-4 cloves is a 2 minute operation.
less time that finding the doohickey+cleaning the doohickey....

now.... cooking for two, I do not need large qtys of garlic - iffin' I did, I'd go with the jar stuff.

for garlic, I lop off the root end, then in lopping off the tip end . . . hold the skin and peel it back.
that takes off +/- half the skin - a solid smack-smash and the remaining skin is easily separated from the bulb contents itself.

once upon a time I had a garlic press. what a pain.
I can 'peel' / slice / dice / mince and smash garlic to a paste in 1-2 minutes.
paste not often required - so a fine dice/mince of 3-4 cloves is a 2 minute operation.
less time that finding the doohickey+cleaning the doohickey....

now.... cooking for two, I do not need large qtys of garlic - iffin' I did, I'd go with the jar stuff.
Please post video and provide link of you doing that. Would love to learn. Please do 5 cloves. Thanks

You don't have to wet the bulb and you don't have to par-cook the entire bulb, but if you were to do so, you just put the remainder in a container in the refrigerator.

Additionally, wetting the bulb isn't going to affect it being refrigerated, par-cooked or not.

Nor do I, usually. I just put the remainder in a container or plastic bag and stick it in the refrigerator. But you can just take the cloves you want off the bulb and microwave them with the same results without "cooking" the rest of the bulb.
No way? So. I used the jar method to peel garlic which bruises them and releases probably more odour. I put them in a freezer plastic bag. Put that into airtight glass container that has plastic lid. Good quality one.
Put that into fridge.
Fridge stank next day.
Garlic went bad within 3 days.
Smell emitted from the plastic lid. Garlic is incredibly potent smell wise and it leaves a horrible smell that penetrates EVERYTHING.

My stepmum stores garlic she processed into ice cube trays. Entire freezer has the odor. Everything placed in freezer gets the odor penetrated into it. Ice cream, frozen veg. Everything. The smell will never go away. It's been there for over 8 years now.

Garlic into fridge or freezer = throw away fridge/freezer and buy new one due to odour.

Please post video and provide link of you doing that. Would love to learn. Please do 5 cloves. Thanks
What CookieMonster described is similar to what I do (and posted earlier):

View: https://youtu.be/1y5h1pDHhzs

That’s our old friend Pepin (who just turned 90!), and at around the 1 minute mark he shows the technique for peeling in a similar fashion - top it, tail it, smack it, shake it, its peeled.

What CookieMonster described is similar to what I do (and posted earlier):

View: https://youtu.be/1y5h1pDHhzs

That’s our old friend Pepin (who just turned 90!), and at around the 1 minute mark he shows the technique for peeling in a similar fashion - top it, tail it, smack it, shake it, its peeled.
That's wild. He's a magician with expensive looking gear that's probably sharpened with expensive gear by a master sharpener.
I'm but a humble newbie who will never become a magician like him. Nor do I have the funds for such a chopping board and to pay a master sharpener. 😢

Audio is terrible in that video. Very echoey. And his accent makes it hard to understand him too.
What did he say after essential oils?

Also his garlic peels mad easy. Mine never does. I've done exactly what he's done many times before.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom