Recipe Meygoo Dopiyazeh (Persian Shrimp, Pepper, Onion & Saffron Curry)

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
4:55 PM
Came across this one online and took the plunge. It’s pretty good and I’ve made some minor adjustments to give it a little extra kick.
Flavorful and healthy with that delicious curry consistency. Would probably go great with naan however I had some lavash with it and it really hit the spot.

IMG_9655.jpeg

IMG_9654.jpeg

Ingredients​

• 3 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp black mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1 large brown onion (cut in half top to bottom then finely sliced)
  • 6 cloves garlic (minced or crushed)
  • 1 thumb size fresh ginger (grated)
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp dried red chili flakes (more for extra spicy)
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 3 tbsp tomato purée
  • 1 red pepper (finely sliced)
  • 1 red onion (cut in half top to bottom then finely sliced)
  • 800 ml hot water mixed with 1/4 tsp of ground saffron (give an extra pinch for extra flavour). Let this steep for 15min until the water is an Orange/Yellow color).
  • Juice of 1 fresh lemon
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 800 g frozen shrimp (defrosted) or fresh. Larger prawns also work well.
  • Salt and Pepper (to taste)
  • A small bunch of fresh coriander (finely chopped)

Method​

• Place a large Dutch oven or skillet on medium-high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and mustard seeds and cook until they sizzle (about 1 minute). Careful not to burn the seeds. Then add the finely sliced brown onion, stir well and cook until they start to caramelize (About 10-15min stirring periodically).
  • Add garlic, then ginger and stir into the onion mixture. Follow with turmeric, red chilli flakes, ground coriander and stir until evenly distributed into the mixture.
  • Add tomato purée and stir into the mixture. Then add sliced red peppers and red onion and stir until softened. Add saffron water, lemon juice and garam masala and stir.
  • Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to allow the sauce to simmer gently for 30 mins.
  • Add shrimps to the sauce and stir. Add chopped fresh coriander and cook for a further 10 mins. Turn the heat off and serve the Meygoo Dopiyazeh with fresh chopped coriander sprinkled on top accompanied with rice and / or naan.

Source

I looked twice at the title and then made the connection . Dopiyazeh; there's a typical Indian dish called Dopiaza and it means "Two Onions". Iranians (parsees) first began to arrive in India in the 8th century; there was another huge migration in the 16th century. Sure enough, your recipe has 1 large onion and 1 red onion. Yum!

I looked twice at the title and then made the connection . Dopiyazeh; there's a typical Indian dish called Dopiaza and it means "Two Onions". Iranians (parsees) first began to arrive in India in the 8th century; there was another huge migration in the 16th century. Sure enough, your recipe has 1 large onion and 1 red onion. Yum!

I did the same thing.

When I first saw the photos I thought I was looking at a lentil dish because of the thick yellow consistency - but its simply the onions and all those lovely spices. Your sauce look much more saffron coloured than the photos on the source recipe, which is a good thing! I couldn't spot much difference though, in your list of ingredients compared to the original.

This is a good recipe and the sort of food I love to eat.

Back
Top Bottom