Recipe Michigan Sauce (aka Coney Dog Sauce/Chili Dog Sauce/Hot Dog Sauce)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
2:11 AM
Michigan Sauce (aka Coney Dog Sauce/Chili Dog Sauce/Hot Dog Sauce)
Makes enough for 8-10 michigans (my estimate)

Note: I’ll get into the lore of michigans later, as it’s got some history around it, but for now, the recipe:

Ingredients
2 lbs ground round (85/15)
16 oz canned tomato sauce
3/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp minced dry onion
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 TB chili powder
3 TB hot sauce

Directions
Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker, give it a good mix, and cook on low for 8 hours. Don’t brown the beef first, don’t toast the cumin, don’t overthink it and don’t gussy it up. Chuck it all in, give it a good stir, then set it on low. That’s it.

Every couple of hours, give it another stir. At about 3 hours, you’re going to say, “This has to be done,” and you’ll be tempted to stop. Don’t. You need the full 8 hours to get it to the right consistency, sort of soft and thick and almost paste-like, not unlike wet sand or we cement. That’s what you want, and that’s what keeps it from dripping off the dog when you eat it, so don’t rush it.

This benefits from an overnight stay in the fridge. Be warned, if you do that, it will indeed set up like cement. Don’t worry, it’s fine. Chisel it out, into a saucepan over medium-low heat, it’ll loosen right back up to where it should be. No need to add water. Just don’t let it stick, so stir it every few minutes.

Recipe courtesy of my wife, who got it from her sister, her got it from her friend Cindy, who got it from her brother Tommy, who used to work at Clare & Carl’s back in the 1970’s and it’s their original recipe, dontcha know…

To serve:
Top-split coney dog-style buns
Cooked hot dogs of your choice - Glazier hot dogs from Malone, NY if possible, but at least get natural casing dogs…they need to snap! when you bite them
Finely diced onion
Plain yellow prepared mustard - no Dijon, no Colman’s, no stoneground, no wholegrain, just plain yellow squirty mustard

Open the bun, down with some onion, then a dog, then trowel on some warmed sauce, and top with a good squirt of mustard. Enjoy!

IMG_8684.jpeg
IMG_8685.jpeg

That’s a michigan, native to Plattsburgh, NY!

Last edited:

Note: I’ll get into the lore of michigans later, as it’s got some history around it, but for now, the recipe:

Ingredients
3/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp minced dry onion
2 TB chili powder
3 TB hot sauce

Directions
Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker, give it a good mix, and cook on low for 8 hours. Don’t brown the beef first, don’t toast the cumin, don’t overthink it and don’t gussy it up. Chuck it all in, give it a good stir, then set it on low. That’s it.

Every couple of hours, give it another stir. At about 3 hours, you’re going to say, “This has to be done,” and you’ll be tempted to stop. Don’t. You need the full 8 hours to get it to the right consistency, sort of soft and thick and almost paste-like, not unlike wet sand or we cement. That’s what you want, and that’s what keeps it from dripping off the dog when you eat it, so don’t rush it.

This benefits from an overnight stay in the fridge. Be warned, if you do that, it will indeed set up like cement. Don’t worry, it’s fine. Chisel it out, into a saucepan over medium-low heat, it’ll loosen right back up to where it should be. No need to add water. Just don’t let it stick, so stir it every few minutes.

Recipe courtesy of my wife, who got it from her sister, her got it from her friend Cindy, who got it from her brother Tommy, who used to work at Clare & Carl’s back in the 1970’s and it’s their original recipe, dontcha know…

To serve:
Cooked hot dogs of your choice - Glazier hot dogs from Malone, NY if possible, but at least get natural casing dogs…they need to snap! when you bite them
Finely diced onion
Plain yellow prepared mustard - no Dijon, no Colman’s, no stoneground, no wholegrain, just plain yellow squirty mustard

Open the bun, down with some onion, then a dog, then trowel on some warmed sauce, and top with a good squirt of mustard. Enjoy!

View attachment 115663View attachment 115664

I will absolutely be making this!

Ingredients
3/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp minced dry onion
2 TB chili powder
3 TB hot sauce

Directions

To serve:
Finely diced onion

View attachment 115663View attachment 115664
Christ, yet another bookmarked recipe 😂

I will absolutely be making this!
As a point of reference, since you're up there, some people say the closest relative this has is Flint sauce. I don't know, as I've never had Flint sauce, but maybe you have. One thing I can definitely say, it isn't anything like the typical Detroit coneys I've had.

The only thing I don't have in dry, minced onion.
Colleen working today? Just text her to grab some on the way out the door! :wink:

Ok so this evenings food was made long before reading your post but I think we're on the same page 🤷‍♀️

The chilli was long and slow cooked to reach a thick coatable level. The accompaniments were applied according to the consumer's preferences.

There was heat and there was the crack of a bite into the dog.

One deviation would be the jalapeño chilli sliced cheese but I think you'd be ok with that.

Some peeps had a crunchy take on jalapeños, some had sweet drop peppers.

Tasted great, we all LOVED it.

Back
Top Bottom