Recipe Moroccan Saffron Couscous

Local time
1:42 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_4230.jpeg

First, a look into my creative process. I accidentally added cannellini beans, because the label was turned, and it was sitting next to the garbanzo beans. I thought for a moment about keeping them, but I decided to maintain the purity of my original vision. So, I spent the next 15 minutes fishing the beans out of the pot.

Not part of the creative process: the Argon Oil of Morocco on the table. This is used for hair, not cooking. But, it was coincidentally on the table when I decided to take the picture.

Finally, the addition of saffron wasn't just a gimmick to quality this recipe for the recipe challenge. The floral quality of the saffron weaves its way through the earthy character of spices. Cardamom was always part of the recipe, and it also has floral notes.

Ingredients

1 ¼ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ red onion, chopped
1 large, ripe hatch chili pepper chopped
1 large zucchinis, cut in chunks
½ cup currants
1 (14.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
¼ teaspoon saffron threads
2 cups chicken broth
1 ½ cups couscous
1 teaspoon salt, adjusted to taste

Directions

1. Soak saffron threads with a few tablespoons of the chicken stock.

IMG_4226.jpeg

2. Place a large pot over medium heat. Stir in cumin, ginger, cloves, cardamom, coriander, and allspice; gently toast until fragrant, stirring frequently, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in oil, onion, and pepper, and cook until softened. Stir in zucchini and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in currants and chickpeas.

IMG_4225.jpeg
IMG_4227.jpeg

3. Add chicken broth, and saffron mixture. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. When the mixture is boiling, stir in couscous and remove from heat; cover, and let stand 5 minutes.

IMG_4228.jpeg

A great combination of spices here. I was,for some reason slightly puzzled by the allspice which I thought might be out of character for a Moroccan style dish - but then I realised it is an ingredient in ras el hanout! I like the use of currants to provide bursts of sweetness.

My only thought is that perhaps because the broth is rather brown because of the toasted spices then the golden saffron colour doesn't shine through as much as it might.

the Argon Oil of Morocco on the table. This is used for hair, not cooking. But, it was coincidentally on the table when I decided to take the picture.

Argan oil is wonderful to use in cooking! Learn About Argan Oil, Morocco's Famous Culinary and Cosmetic Oil

A great combination of spices here. I was,for some reason slightly puzzled by the allspice which I thought might be out of character for a Moroccan style dish - but then I realised it is an ingredient in ras el hanout! I like the use of currants to provide bursts of sweetness.

My only thought is that perhaps because the broth is rather brown because of the toasted spices then the golden saffron colour doesn't shine through as much as it might.

Argan oil is wonderful to use in cooking! Learn About Argan Oil, Morocco's Famous Culinary and Cosmetic Oil

Ah....I see now that the seeds are roasted for argan oil for cooking preparations, vs not roasted for hair care. I will certainly look this up, And, I agree, it's not pretty to look at, but this should be the adjustment I need for next time.

Back
Top Bottom