Recipe Mussels with wild garlic

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:38 AM
Mussels have to be one of the easiest, fastest and cheapest shellfish treats. They cook in a matter of minutes. Garlic is a winning combination with mussels and this recipe uses two types of garlic. Wild garlic can be foraged in spring if you are lucky enough to live near where it grows. Mine came from a Kent farm shop which delivers locally grown vegetables and other produce.

fullsizeoutput_85d4.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
1kg fresh mussels
20g butter
1 banana shallot. finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
100ml cider, or white wine
Splash of buttermilk (optional)
Handful of roughly chopped wild garlic leaves
Aleppo chilli flakes to sprinkle (optional)

Method
  1. Wash the mussels in cold water, discarding any open ones that won’t close when tapped.
    Pull out any ‘beards' from between the closed shells
  2. Melt butter in a large pan and cook the shallots and garlic until soft.
    Add the mussels, cider or wine and the buttermilk (if using) and chopped wild garlic.
  3. Cover and cook for a few minutes until the mussels open, shaking the pan occasionally.
  4. Serve sprinkled with Aleppo chilli flakes (if using) and crusty bread to soak up the juices.

fullsizeoutput_85c8.jpeg

That's lovely and I can taste it in my mind. Yum. I'm curious about the buttermilk though. Does it just add a tart creamy element?

Last edited:
That's lovely and I cam taste it in my mind. Yum. I'm curious about the buttermilk though. Does it just add a tart creamy element?
Thats right. It adds a bit of creaminess withot being cloying. I actually hate creamy sauces with shellfish but a lttle buttermilk is fine.

I'm on record as a devout seafood-disliker, I'll say this: There are two people on this planet...two people out of nearly 8 billion souls...who could possibly...maybe...coax me to eat something from the ocean (apart from generic tuna salad and fish-and-chips fish). One of those people is Jacques Pepin, and you know how highly I regard him.

You're the other one, Morning Glory.

I'm on record as a devout seafood-disliker, I'll say this: There are two people on this planet...two people out of nearly 8 billion souls...who could possibly...maybe...coax me to eat something from the ocean (apart from generic tuna salad and fish-and-chips fish). One of those people is Jacques Pepin, and you know how highly I regard him.

You're the other one, Morning Glory.
I am honoured. One thing I would say is that shell fish are very different from fish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom