Recipe My (forever) pizza dough recipe

Puggles

Guru
Local time
9:55 PM
I have found the pizza dough recipe that I've been searching for for almost 30 years.

Unfortunately, this recipe is impossible without a sourdough starter.

Ingredients
500g flour (I did 300 bread and 200 AP)
325g filtered water
20-30g of your sourdough starter (depending if you want a stronger taste or not)
10g of diastatic malt powder (for extra awesomeness)
Barely a gram of yeast
14g salt.

Method
I started by heating the water to approximately 90 degrees, added the starter to start dissolving it, and added the yeast on top. Give it a good mix.
Add 375g of the combined flour with the water and form a shaggy dough, panic because you now have Frankenstein's fingers, cover, and let autolyze for 30 minutes. (you are still going to have some flour remaining, this is intentional)
I do all the kneading by hand. After 30 minutes, add the salt and knead the dough for about 5 minutes, incorporating the remaining (125g) flour (it will work its way in there, you may think it won't work, but it will). Cover, then let it rest for 5 minutes. We are going 5 minutes on, and 5 minutes off, for a total of approximately 20 minutes of kneading.
You may have to actually sprinkle some flour on during one of the kneading steps.
After kneading is finished, cover and let ferment at room temp for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and fold each ball into itself several times to help form a ball.
Store in the fridge for a good 48 hours before use, so it gets a nice ferment going.

20240713_191544.jpg

20240710_125618.jpg

20240710_130633.jpg

Pretty close to what I do, except I do stretch & folds instead of kneading :)

I'll try this one next time to see how it compares :)
(But with only sourdough starter, no extra yeast)

Back
Top Bottom