Not confident about my brisket

Puggles

Guru
Local time
1:49 PM
I'm doing brisket as my weekend project and I got a 15-pound one and started it last night before bed. 180 super smoke all night long (8-9 hours). I wrapped it when it hit stall (approx 165) in butcher paper and bumped up the heat to 250 and let it go until it hits 203. My probe went off and I checked it and I was getting 203 towards the middle area, (more around the point) and then I checked the flat and I couldn't even pierce the brisket. How is that even possible? It shouldn't be that "tough". This is a good prime brisket with a great fat cap that was trimmed by myself. My smoker is working perfectly. I'm confused.

I'm doing brisket as my weekend project and I got a 15-pound one and started it last night before bed. 180 super smoke all night long (8-9 hours). I wrapped it when it hit stall (approx 165) in butcher paper and bumped up the heat to 250 and let it go until it hits 203. My probe went off and I checked it and I was getting 203 towards the middle area, (more around the point) and then I checked the flat and I couldn't even pierce the brisket. How is that even possible? It shouldn't be that "tough". This is a good prime brisket with a great fat cap that was trimmed by myself. My smoker is working perfectly. I'm confused.
I honestly am not that experienced of a smoker (I usually handle the rubs and such) but we usually start out at a higher temp than 180 (225F-250F). You are just going to need more time.

I still have a brisket in the freezer. I plan to slow cook it one weekend as part of a small Sunday dinner. Sides will include a small potato salad, a small mac & cheese, a small amount of greens & a small cornbread. Maybe a 7up Cake. I'm going to do it in THIS. :whistling:
Rival BBQ Pit..jpg

I still have a brisket in the freezer. I plan to slow cook it one weekend as part of a small Sunday dinner. Sides will include a small potato salad, a small mac & cheese, a small amount of greens & a small cornbread. Maybe a 7up Cake. I'm going to do it in THIS. :whistling:View attachment 119281
That sounds like a great menu! 😋

200 to 205 internal is the optimum, but you should have had your smoker temp a little higher all along.

Back
Top Bottom