Obtaining Mexican ingredients in the UK

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
2:23 PM
Mod.edit: posts moved to form new topic (MG)

REAL Mexican ingredients (some can be bought on Amazon etc but are imported, you pay 10x (literally)..., and it is of low quality.
My son lived in Mexico City for 5 years, and now lives in London. He cooks Mexican food very well, and buys his products from these places in London: Mestizo, Mexican Mama, La Tiendita
I agree; nowhere near as cheap as in Mexico, but definitely not 10 times the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son lived in Mexico City for 5 years, and now lives in London. He cooks Mexican food very well, and buys his products from these places in London: Mestizo, Mexican Mama, La Tiendita
I agree; nowhere near as cheap as in Mexico, but definitely not 10 times the price.
I see. But that's London. The UK is more than just London. And that's only a few places in London. There's not many. I've eaten at Mestizo (there's a restaurant right new to the store) and the food was bland and bad and expensive. I didn't even step foot in the store because I know how expensive it is.
I can bet ingredients aren't the best quality and they're super expensive across all 3 stores. I live in the countryside with a beach, here in the UK. My town has not got a single Mexican restaurant. Most, if not all towns here, have them. Supermarkets here certainly don't sell proper Mexican ingredients. I would love to visit Mexico City and eat street food. Looks so damn tasty. But the flight and to and from airports is so expensive, plus accommodation. Food is dirt cheap there and I hear from so many YouTube videos I've salivated over, delicious 😍.

I LOVE eating at wahaca, but they're only in London, not where I live. And it's still expensive. To and from London for travel costs alone is about £60 from where I am 😢. I wish Wahaca would share all their recipes. 😢 I use old el paso stuff from the supermarket which doesn't even taste 1% as good.

What sort of Mexican ingredients are we talking about WaterPixie?

One I've found difficult to find is fresh tomatillos although tinned can be found on line. Then recently a farm supplier in Kent has them. Not sure if they are grown locally. Will look up the price...

Dried chillies if all types I've bought from Dried & Powdered Chillies who grow their own.

The UK is more than just London. And that's only a few places in London. There's not many.
Yes, I'm well aware that the UK is not just London - I was born there.
Some Mexican restaurants are expensive, that's true. Wahaca was founded by the winner of a Master Chef competition, so that's probably why it's expensive. Still, there are many (not a few) other places in London that sell Mexican and they're not always expensive; it's a question of "he who seeks shall find" :cool: Old El Paso is, unfortunately, not even close to a Mexican condiment. La Costeña or Hérdez are good.
Tell us which seaside town you're in and I'll see if I can help.

Back
Top Bottom